Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
Sahleh

Favorite Genres and Artists?

I probably delayed in making this... I am a music geek, so...

I listen to everything so I'm curious as to what other people listen to. What's your favorite musician or artist?

All the music I have on my desktop (sans a few artists) can be found here, alongside their genre.

EDIT: Fixed some typos.

Edited by SalemPertaeus

Dangit! where should i start!?

for metal, i'd have to say hellhammer. he's a drummer for something like... over twenty underground metal bands including arcturus, Peccautum, dimmu borgir, mayhem, Burzum, and much more shtuffffffffffffff

For folk, my favorite album is celtic mystique, and the dubliners ^^

Edm would honestly have to go to lapfox

Favorite Christian artist has to go to Phil Keaggy. He's an independent guitarist who has such a passion for the Lord

classical... gershwin? probably bach ^^ (but especially not beethoven :P)

Favorite oldies group is by far The Moody Blues

and rap goes to Nujabes (the only rap i actually listen to)

My overall favorite song is Reckoner by Radiohead

Ahhh,where to start... I like electronic, techno, rave, and a capella. I'm also in band, trombone, so I like cool band pieces.

I was in band in high school (represent!), but percussion. My best friend was a trombonist. If you know some particularly good EDM, I'd be willing to listen!

Dangit! where should i start!?

for metal, i'd have to say hellhammer. he's a drummer for something like... over twenty underground metal bands including arcturus, Peccautum, dimmu borgir, mayhem, Burzum, and much more shtuffffffffffffff

For folk, my favorite album is celtic mystique, and the dubliners ^^

Edm would honestly have to go to lapfox

Favorite Christian artist has to go to Phil Keaggy. He's an independent guitarist who has such a passion for the Lord

classical... gershwin? probably bach ^^ (but especially not beethoven :P)

Favorite oldies group is by far The Moody Blues

and rap goes to Nujabes (the only rap i actually listen to)

My overall favorite song is Reckoner by Radiohead

Lots of good music!

I listen to multiple generes by my two favorite artist are Kelly Clarkson and Adam Young.

Adam Yooooouuuuung! I love his music.

My favorite band has to be Twenty One Pilots. Have Christian band members and God used their poetic lyrics to save me from committing suicide. I hold the utmost respect for them and there isn't a single song I don't like.

Example song: http://youtu.be/fQFBYp4jJQ8

My favorite official Christian band is Switchfoot.

Edited by Ohyoupokedmr

I see that someone likes rock a lot. xD It's 'kay, I like a fair bit myself (albeit I don't browse a lot for new artists).

I was surprised to see Our Last Night on your list. I'm subbed to them on one of my Youtube accounts.

I'll rattle off a few artists I like... in alphabetical order according to my iTunes:

Addison Road

Against The Current (Secular)

Anamanaguchi (Secular)

Asian Kung-Fu Generation (Secular, Japanese)

Babymetal (Secular, Japanese)

BarlowGirl (I really need more of her stuff...)

Bellarive

Bethel Music

The Black Mages (Secular)

Capcom Sound Team (Not really a band, I just really like Mega Man's OSTs XD)

Casting Crowns

Chris Tomlin

The City Harmonic

Crowder / David Crowder Band(Squeeeee!)

The Digital Age (Still basically DC*B, but without DC. XD)

dj Jo (Secular, Indie)

Eir Aoi (Secular, Japanese)

Elevation Worship

Fireflight

Flyleaf

Foxes (Secular)

Girls Dead Monster (Secular, Japanese)

Gungor

Hillsong Live

Hillsong United

Icon For Hire (Christian...?)

Imogen Heap (Secular)

Jeremy Camp

Jesus Culture

Junya Nakano (Secular, Composer for video games)

Kate Covington (Secular, Indie)

Kotringo (Secular, Japanese)

Kye Kye

Lanae' Hale

Linked Horizon (Secular, Japanese)

LiSA (Secular, Japanese)

Loud Harp

Lovelite

Masaaki Endoh (Secular, Japanese)

Masashi Hamauzu (Secular, Composer for video games)

MercyMe

Meridith Andrews

Michael Jackson (Secular)

nano (Secular, Japanese)

Naoshi Mizuta (Secular, Composer for video games)

Nobuo Uematsu (Secular, Composer for video games)

One OK Rock (Secular, Japanese)

Origa (Secular)

Owl City

Paramore (Secular)

Penny & Sparrow

Pentatonix (Secular)

Phil Wickham

Red

Relient K

sakanaction (Secular, Japanese)

Sam Robson

School Food Punishment (Secular, Japanese)

Sent by Ravens

Shane & Shane

Skillet

SOUND HOLIC (Secular, Japanese)

Switchfoot

T.M. Revolution (Secular, Japanese)

Talain Rayne (Christian...?)

Tessa Violet (formerly Meekakitty)

Travis Cottrell

Utada Hikaru (Secular, Japanese)

Vertical Church Band

Yasunori Mitsuda (Secular, Composer for video games)

Yoko Shimomura (Secular, Composer for video games)

Yugo Kanno (Secular, Composer for anime OSTs)

ZREO (Zelda Reorchestrated) (Secular, Instrumental)

I didn't include genres with the names because I don't know those very well. XD

Edited by Tomo

For "feels" and Christian Music, its gotta be Plumb (with Sixpence None The Richer as a distant second).

For more secular, yet traditional music, It is very hard to beat Wagakki Band. (Odds are you have not heard a koto, shakuhachi, or taiko drum like this before, I advise utilizing the "traditional japanese modern music" term as a search, and not having your volume too high haha.) They do also do regular not rock-styled music with just the flute, koto, and vocals, though.

Aside from this I do like certain sorts of Anime Music, for instance the opening ( http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/aiyoriaoshi/towanohana.htm ) & ending ( http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/aiyoriaoshi/namoshirenuhana.htm ) songs for "Ai Yori Aoshi" and the ending song of "Karin" ( the lyrics are here: http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/karin/mouhitotsu.htm ).  There are others I don't recall presently or don't know the lyrics to.  Anyhow I find that my tastes don't seem to be confined to a given genre so much as songs on an individual basis.. and sometimes a good sounding song can have terrible lyrics (ever pay careful attention to the stuff played on the radio?).

I do like me some midi sequenced versions of songs. (Saria's Song from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Zelda 64 and the theme for Zora's domain in that game being my favorites from the game.)

I like NES Chiptunes, old DOS PCSpeaker music, GameBoy chiptunes, Sega Genesis and Master System chiptunes, and Commodore 64 chiptunes as my first few choices.

I don't usually enjoy anything with human voices other than lyricless acapella. When I do, it's usually because the lyrics resonate with me as comedy (Weird Al's songs) or a combination of the instruments and lyrics strike a chord with me (energetic, upbeat pop love songs...from pretty close to any decades).

umm i like just about everything except country.... but yeah i mainly like christian rap, hip-hop, jpop, and classic rock... but yeah the only artist i can think of is Lecrae.

Favorite music genres and artists... I have too many to really list, and I'm always finding new ones. It's much easier to list genres I don't like. I don't like modern country, most rap/hip-hop, some EDM (some of it is actually good), most post-grunge (Nickleback, for example), and some folk or soft alternative music (some of it is pretty boring).

As for stuff I do like...

My favorites pretty much span the history of music.

I really love ragtime music. In case you've never heard of it, it is a form of piano music with a syncopated right hand part and a "marching" beat in the left hand. Some examples of it:

"Maple Leaf Rag" by Scott Joplin, "Dill Pickles Rag" by Charles L. Johnson, and "Soda Fountain Rag" by Duke Ellington. In the 1920s, ragtime evolved into two styles: stride piano (an early form of jazz) and novelty piano (influenced by French Impressionist music). Some examples of the former are "Carolina Shout" by James P. Johnson and "A Handful of Keys" by Fats Waller, and of the latter, "Pianoflage" by Roy Bargy and "Kitten on the Keys" by Zez Confrey.

I also love jazz from that era through the swing era. Some of my favorite big-band musicians are Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, and Glenn Miller.

I really like most "oldies" music (1950s-60s). There were some truly great songwriters and singers back then. I'm a fan of the Beach Boys (no, seriously - they had some really great songs that weren't about cars or surfing).

I like progressive rock - my favorites are Pink Floyd and Genesis.

80s new wave/synthpop is one of my favorite kinds of music. Examples: The Cars, Howard Jones, Duran Duran.

As for more modern music, I like chillwave (e.g. Washed Out, Neon Indian) and its recent evolution, vaporwave.

Yes, it's a long list, and it's only a small sampling of what I'm into. And as new genres of music develop, it'll only get longer ;) .