Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
Sign in to follow this  
James SilverWolf

In search of a new E-mail

Well I've grown frustrated with gmail's user-unfriendly interface and remarkable lack of options for basic functionality (the select all checkbox for basic html view has vanished, apparently, and I suspect they are attempting to do away with this option entirely.) so I'm looking to make a new web-based E-mail addy and was curious if anyone here had any suggestions.  I do have a place in mind (inbox.com), but I thought I'd also ask here as well.

Thing is though there are some stipulations:

1. the service cannot be a known privacy invader or tie in ads etc. for the service. (IE no data mining practices)

2. it must not require flash or java to run, or a "modern browser" (My system is old, and I'm not about to waste what limited funds I have on some new wi(red to everything that can)-fi(nd you) spybox that has little end-user controls, just to get a simple e-mail.)  That is to say, the more bare-bonesy it is, the better, if it runs on basic old HTML and has no "bells and whistles" or viruses like "social media integration" then its likely a winner.

3. it must have good end-user controls... Nobody likes to try to wade through reams of meaningless and useless help or support pages just to access particular settings that have been purposefully buried. (ala gmail.) & of course, it must be Free for personal/non-commercial use.

3A. (optional) If it accepts an external client to send and receive e-mail (such as Pegasus mail) then that is much to it's credit.

Yeah, I know these prerequisites are approaching unattainability given how things are going these days, but it never hurts to ask, right? ^.^

inbox.com works fine. Really gmail works great if you're not using Internet Explorer 6... James...

You need to use a modern web browser.

Very funny Adair. ;p

However, for that to occur, I would need to get a new computer entirely... and that wouldn't make gmail's issues disappear anyway, my problem isn't with rendering so much as it is with how the interface is designed, the egregious data mining that everyone knows is going on, etc.

Besides it could be worse, I could be trying to get on here with Lynx or IE 3-4 from Win 98 SE. >D

Here's another novel idea. Don't use a web client. Use something like Thunderbird  or Outlook or whatever

How old is your system anyways?

Win XP Service Pack 3 runs the current version of Google Chrome (& derivatives) and the current version of Firefox just fine.

Last I checked, inbox.com is extremely Javascript heavy since they basically run a client that's entirely Javascript, and that actually takes a pretty long time to load.

Yahoo mail might be an option, or AOL probably still has their email. You're going to get tracked no matter what, especially now that AOL is owned by Verizon.

Otherwise, I dunno, get a Linux VPS so you can run your own email service with Squirrelmail as the frontend. 

Haha thanks Norz, I do use Pegasus Mail for things, typically, it works for my System and yet can still access the new stuff (IE hotmail etc.), although there sure are a heck of a lot of functions. o.o;

As for system age, this box is over a decade old now. XP SP1 (because SP2 really jacked up a lot of things.), and in case either of you were curious, I did try to update my OS later but this was close to when support was ending, so I figured I'd at least get the package installs, but by the time I did so t'was already too late so trying to get the service packs was in vain.  Not that I really mind, mind you, microsoft corp has been digging its grave since SP2, and next computer I get will have as little to do with their corporate shenanigans as possible, that is to say, it will most likely be some manner of linux, unix or some other bizarre thing I can come across (I hear Comodore 64 has a computer with an OS all its own now, but that is also a bit rich for my meager funds, and well a Cray system is well beyond that... haha).

Thanks for the heads up Adair, java strikes again apparently... be nice if folks would kick that bad habit, and flash along with it. I've made it a point to block out that stuff where encountered.  Also thanks for the suggestion about running my own addy, that would be nice.