Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
Sahleh

Collaborative Fiction?

Hello all.

So does anybody here write, want to write, or even know how to write collaborative fiction?

I was thinking of trying out a few ideas. One of those is world-building together with other writers and then each of us individually write stories about that same world.

Or, we could try to write a single book together.

It's been done before. Erin Hunter of the Warriors series is actually three people, for example. So I believe it would be a fun idea to pursue.

Anybody willing to try or have pointers?

(Edit: fixed typos. I am dyslexic.)

Edited by SalemPertaeus

YES PLEASE! i've been wanting to get our free form rp area back up! Once I get that itch...

I got a feeevuh, and the only prescription, is collaborative fiction, bebe. XD

I've never actually gotten to participate but I think it could be fun, it seems easy enough and I've already written a plot and history for a story since joining.

YES PLEASE! i've been wanting to get our free form rp area back up! Once I get that itch...

I got a feeevuh, and the only prescription, is collaborative fiction, bebe. XD

I've never actually gotten to participate but I think it could be fun, it seems easy enough and I've already written a plot and history for a story since joining.

Oh nice. I would be very interested in sharing ideas.

How many people do we want to get involved? What kind of stories would we write, etc? I'm open to all ideas.

Heh, you should have caught me fifteen or so years ago in my Roleplaying days. We did all sorts of world building and collaborative fiction as said Roleplaying.

I regret to say that I don't have the time to commit to it these days with my projects and other doings, but good luck.

For reasons of Time management, I'd like to see it done via free form rp in the forums, or maybe at least documented somewhere where all who participate can see it freely. However I'm open to whatever. For me I'm available on Skype or irc, mon, tue, & Wed nights, from 11:30pm to 8:30am

My hope would be to do it here that way participants can add bits in as they have time.

Personally I favor ancient/medieval fantasy themes. But I can explore new territory as needed.

A far as the number of participants is concerned I dunno we probably want no less than three. If we don't use the forums I'd say anything above seven people is pushing it, although having that many online at the same time and interested seems unlikely.

Edited by Tigris Umbrae

I wonder what it would be about. Irc chat is hard to log so Skype would be a better variant. We would have to have rules about how many times someone can play a line, then we play one chapter or a scene. After that, an editor logs the chat and prose-ifies the script, maybe adds, removes or corrects some lines or adjusts the line and action order. Finally, the scene is published! :D

I have one problem. My fursona lives on planet Zemlia. How will he meet your fursonas if it's a serious story and when he doesn't have an official and released story? I think we should role play as characters we create specifically for the story. Or maybe we could make it movie style that our fursonas have minorly modified appearance and personality because they're acting. That would mean we're playing fursonas who are playing characters of our story :D

Oh wow, lots of stuff. Well, if all of us are onboard for at least a part we should be able to get momentum.

So the next step is to get organized. Figure out a way to get together. I'm not familiar with IRCs (only Skype IRC, I suppose), but I know Norzman may be. I could talk to him about it.

And of course, in my personal experience, the hardest part is staying committed to it.

EDIT: Maybe we could all find a mutual place to edit a document online? Maybe Google Docs?

Edited by SalemPertaeus

EDIT: Maybe we could all find a mutual place to edit a document online? Maybe Google Docs?

Google Docs actually works wonders for collaborative writing, at least in some cases. My sister and I use it, so I can help her with her English homework, while she's doing it, even if I'm at our Grandparents or something. It allows the people who you add on a doc/docs to either view, edit, or comment, which can be good for adding on, fixing grammar, comments for asking questions or even making sure you're heading in the correct direction. Now, I do say in some cases, because with anything, if you get enough people in one thing, it's going to be a little bit more difficult than if you just had two or three.

I think Google docs could work but just to remind, the forums have a section dedicated to rp and some I think have been finished and turned into a book.

Also we already know that everyone can access it. And this would allow for more flexibility in scheduling. We might consider a mass edit at the end of a chapter or installment. We also need to have a set moderator to ensure organization and peaceful resolution of disagreement. Also how much are we going to role play, and how much will be strict construction.

Personally I feel it would be best if Salem were to moderate.

Oh yeah almost forgot. I get on as I can but the best times for me are Monday through Wednesday night. From 11:30pm to 8:30 am.

I will do my best to work around you all. But outside that time I have to be on my phone usually. If we decide to go forums or irc, if you have a smart phone YOU NEED to get tapatalk for the forums it's free and works great also there are free irc clients for cell phone

#soexcited [emoji12]

Edited by Thomas Maltuin

Why'd you have to start talking about this on a weekend when I was away from my computer! :P

Google Docs is useful for collaboration, but in terms of formatting it is horrendous. I always have to use another word processing program to make the document look nice or meet required formatting (such as APA style...).

Also, I think we have two different ideas going on here:

1. Collaborative creative writing where a group of writers either write separate pieces in the same setting (examples of this are the Star Wars Expanded Universe or the Forgotten Realms setting both of which contain many novels by several different authors) or work together on a single piece.
  2. Storytelling through group RP where a group of people get together, role play for a bit, and then spruce up the session into something more easily read.

Skype is probably the best way for me to communicate as long as there is a scheduled time for me to be logged on. I also find that being able to hear people is beneficial for brainstorming.

I'm willing to help out, though I do have plenty of projects to work on (I really need to get my one story's first draft done before Friday and work more on the three collaborative stories I'm doing with my wife before Christmas...) so don't expect too much from me. But I have taught creative writing and I have been published, so I am willing to help you all out, even if it is just to get you flying!

Me and Salem have been discussing a bit out of thread. What we are looking at is like the first you mentioned although we are considering a single story with multiple parallel plot lines that meet somewhere.

Hoping to hear more from the others soon but we gotta all be on together which is what makes it difficult.

I won't lie, I was hoping that our favorite kitsune would drop in

Okay so who all is on board?

And do we want to all write separate stories within the same world, write a big story together or take turns writing sections. I have read recently, that a pair of authors once collaborated a book, taking turns writing one sentence at a time.

We can do this however we feel comfortable. How do you all want to move forward?

We need

- a plot

-a world name

-race description

-history behind the world

(optional )

-a map

-a theme

-symbolism ideas

-fictional language construction

-concept art

I'm on board.

Really all we need is a time to get together to brainstorm. I'm in a writing group with two (technically three, but he hasn't shown up in months) other furs and while we don't do collaborative fiction, we do help each other come up with and refine ideas for our stories. So if we had a time and a means (Skype, IRC, TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, Google Hangouts, etc.) to get together and bounce ideas off each other in real time, then we could come up with everything we needed to much easier.

In the meantime I think we could make "some" progress here. But I'll pretty much be available on Skype, irc, whatever all night, mon, tue, wed. But if the rest of you all determine other times, then I might can work around. However we can't discuss times so much without knowing who else is on board.

Right now we know, myself, salem, and direlda. No one else has said much past stating their initial interest. X<

Edited by Thomas Maltuin