Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ohyoupokedmr

Music VS Poetry

a lot of today's music to be more focused on sounding good... Made to appeal, or tell stories. While that's good and all, I find that most, if not all of mainstream music, isn't poetry anymore.

Poetry is something that takes and requires thought, both by the maker and by the listener. Poetry isn't afraid to use words that the viewers don't understand yet, because poetry is meant to sound professional and... Well... Poetic.

Music, although is supposed to be a sub-form of poetry, now days doesn't apply by these standards. Common, even taboo swear words, are used to formulate songs for the sake of sounding good. They are so focused on making about their "feelings and experiences" that they lose track on what makes poetry. Without standards of art, we lose track of what is good art and bad art. If the lyrics is bad or of poor taste, we ignore the lyrics and just listen to the music, not the words or the message; that should NEVER happen if it is good poetry. Sad thing is, nobody cares if the music is trying to tell them things that is against their values (many Christians are okay with music that have morally bad lyrics). When will we begin to appreciate songs for their poetic value only rather than what is good for our ear buds?

First off, I DO agree with you, but I feel you lean a bit much to one side. There is nothing wrong with trying to make something sound good, but it is true our motives should be analyzed.

Poetry and music are not always the same but often go hand in hand. The truth is this very argument applies to all art forms Even drawing. If a piece of art can say nothing more than the author could have said with a few words, it isn't doing much good. Art in all forms can be aesthetic, decorative and fun but the most beautiful pieces of music and poetry, painting, etcetera, are those that draw out a sort of emotional understanding that you can not get with pure conversation.

Another thing to think about in this particular case, is how much emotional interpretation is lost in music because the music is good, the lyrics are good, but the vocals are wrought in vain runs and trills(meaning, runs for showing off, not because they felt right)?

That is one of the many reasons I love Twenty One Pilots and Switchfoot so much; they make their music more than just music with some lyrics.  They make it poetic with metaphors, symbolism, etc.  They use several forms of poetry to convey meaning, rather than just using similes throughout the entire song.  They combine metaphors, symbolism, similes, personification, such and such, to make a true piece of art.

I would reccomend trying to go beyond the lyrics, perhaps try listening to some instrumental music and write down what the song makes you think about.

Also try looking at pictures and breaking down what is going on in the picture, what does it make you feel.

one_last_time_by_zengel-d8vbr5d.png

Picture by Zengel @ deviantart.com (I don't know much about the artist so explore at your own risk)

This picture for instance, beautifully drawn sure, but also, it makes me feel sad, just the look on the girl's face. many will probably get that much, but we must

also look at the figure in the background walking away from her to get the whole picture. The same emotion could be drawn out in several ways but when we see

what is in the background, the story or meaning is clarified. The figute here is walking away, if the person had been in a car, we might think they have to go far away

but the fact that they are actively walking away in the rain says a bit more. It's much colder now.

The same is true in music, which is why some pieces are better without music. An acapella piece might indicate emphasis on the lyrics, or it might better demonstrate

vocal capability, but it can also represent desolation among other emotions.

Sad or angry music that is written in an exclusivelly major key could sound possibly sound sarcastic or satirical. That may also depend on the tone of the voice in the

song. Just as every word in a poem is important to the overall meaning, so is every vibration within a song.

"The numbers represent the percentages of importance of varying communication channels have with the belief that 55% of communication is body language, 38% is

the tone of voice, and 7% is the actual words spoken." (Mehrabian, A. (1972). Nonverbal Communication. New Brunswick: Aldine Transaction.) https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/beyond-words/201109/is-nonverbal-communication-numbers-game

How we communicate ideas is much less about the words and much more about how we present them. I can say "I love  you" and imply downright hatred if done a

certain way. Truthfully, I agree that lyrics should be poetic, however what one finds appealing in that sense may be disgusting to another.

As far as the mainstream music today is concerned, money has become the dominant factor, which is why some of us may prefer more obscure genres and artists.

My reccomendation is, as always, be the change. If you would like there to be more poetic music in the world, make some. If you want others to change how they think

about and approach music, inspire them and by all means, keep speaking your mind about this as you have done here.

^~^