Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
Sign in to follow this  
Luke Wolf

Anthro Adventure Game Programming Team Recruitment

Well, after months of searching for furry games for the PC I've decided to become a producer rather than a consumer. I mean the selection is rather pitiful its Inherit the Earth and well... Inherit the Earth.. What I would like to do is to create a few adventure games, perhaps an RPG or 3. So I'm asking around for Artists, Musicians, Voice Actors, Programmers, Writers and anyone else who wants to be involved in such an endeavor. I'm planning on using the Adventure Game Studio http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/ for now since its a very decent interface (Just like the Visual Basic Editor/Compiler from Microsoft) and allows you to import Jpegs rather than being stuck with Bitmaps. Oh and it doesn't require ScummVM to run the games rather it creates an .exe

Heya, perhaps we can work together?

Victory Cross is an amateur game making company we started some months ago to work on making an RPG for people to enjoy. Momentum is sort of slow right now, as we're currently recruiting, but we have good plans in the works.

Heya' date=' perhaps we can work together?

Victory Cross is an amateur game making company we started some months ago to work on making an RPG for people to enjoy. Momentum is sort of slow right now, as we're currently recruiting, but we have good plans in the works.

[/quote']

Jude forgot to put down any contact info, so I will instead.

Chat Room

Server: red-king.org

channel: #RPGTalk

Forum: http://victory-cross.com/forum/

Blog: http://victory-cross.com/

I could do some voice acting. I am also willing to help with writing and/or editing the the storyline for the game (creative writing is my major, after all...), though I have some other projects to take care of first...

Heya' date=' perhaps we can work together?

[/quote']

There's honestly no reason not to work together and having more than one project would allow it (The Company) to have a several game run, with a variety of games being released. Plus that saves me the time trying to figure out and design a logo and name.

I'd be happy to participate. I'm a musician, have a pretty good recording setup with several instruments, etc, and and artist, and I've done programming in the past. My programming has all been in Visual Basic, though, so its not really the industry standard at all for games. I have a nice 3D graphics progra, (a version of TruSpace), though I'm not too skilled at it yet, and I'd be happy to do any plot writing or scripting needed.

So tell me if you're going to go through with this and if I could be involved. I'd be happy to help.

Well, It looks like I'm getting a good response, Now the trick is getting lines of communication and such opened up, and I think its time to move onto phase II & III of the development cycle ,since I think we've got enough people to start, being : Setting up Communication and Ideas.

My current line of thought is that we use http://luke-wolf.livejournal.com/3925.html as the background or base of the story, though how we proceed from there I'm kind of unsure.

I'm planning on using the Adventure Game Studio http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/ for now since its a very decent interface (Just like the Visual Basic Editor/Compiler from Microsoft) and allows you to import Jpegs rather than being stuck with Bitmaps. Oh and it doesn't require ScummVM to run the games rather it creates an .exe

VB = bad. JPEG in a game = very' date=' very bad. I would rather a bitmap than a JPG, but if it allows it then you should use PNG.

I would recommend either Game Maker or some breed of C (+opengl?) for this. I am willing to bet that though AdventureGameStudio compiles to an EXE, it doesn't in reality - I bet it just pastes your game data onto the end of a virtual machine program, making it no better than ScummVM from a technical standpoint. (Game Maker does this too, but it is extremely flexible, capable of 2D and 3D games, etc).

I am available for writing, and also have the instincts (although not the training) of a good programmer.

I can program too, but I can't write stories (or other moderately creative writing) to save my life.

My programming has all been in Visual Basic' date=' though, so its not really the industry standard at all for games.[/quote']

Considering the package that the OP was about to go for, I don't think we're worried at all about how good the programming language is.

On the other hand, though, VB is really a language to stay away from in my opinion. If you learn C and C++, then you can pretty much take that experience and port it over to any language.

I said the interface was like, not that it was visual basic, It uses it's own language for interface. Though I can't tell you one way or another about virtualmachine emulation, or not because I haven't done enough with the engine to know that, though I suspect not. Just out of curiosity what's wrong with Jpegs? I personally was thinking they'd be good because they're the images you get generally when you scan something in, and it's not like we'd be going for 3d because to put this very bluntly every 3D Adventure game (That is to say every game that's used the Lua engine) I've seen has failed, while those based out of the SCUMM engine have been quite good

And in the bigger picture I'm not doing this just to create games, but also to stimulate the fandom as a whole into creating stuff by furries for furries beyond what we currently have, which isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things. Games, Movies, animated (or live action if their fursuits are good enough) series, etc. That is the final product I wish to see.

My programming has all been in Visual Basic' date=' though, so its not really the industry standard at all for games.[/quote']

Considering the package that the OP was about to go for, I don't think we're worried at all about how good the programming language is.

On the other hand, though, VB is really a language to stay away from in my opinion. If you learn C and C++, then you can pretty much take that experience and port it over to any language.

I do hope to learn C or C++ when I get time. Though, VB can be used fairly well in 2D-type games. There's shortcuts that you can use that makes it go faster, like bitblting, where you're using Windows to process the graphics rather than VB.

We are now on livejournal' date=' This will help keep everyone informed and to know who all we have working on this project http://community.livejournal.com/anthro_dev/

[/quote']

I don't have a livejournal account... is it strictly necessary?

Just out of curiosity what's wrong with Jpegs? I personally was thinking they'd be good because they're the images you get generally when you scan something in' date=' and it's not like we'd be going for 3d because to put this very bluntly every 3D Adventure game (That is to say every game that's used the Lua engine) I've seen has failed

[/quote']

JPEG is only good for 3D. Nothing else.

The reason is the corruption.

A very simple sample image:

PNG:

simple.png

JPG:

simple.JPG

See the difference? The second one, at least to people who have seen a few JPGs identified as such before, sticks out like a sore thumb.

Another example - this smiley: :angel:

In JPG format: angel.JPG

JPG is acceptable for anything photorealistic (including pretty much anything taken by a camera) but it isn't really suitable for anything else. You're best off with PNG for anything that involves more cartoonish flat and precise colour (digital art) or text.

Worse things happen if you work on some digital art and repeatedly save in JPG or something like that.

A bitmap of this character: 狼

Saved as JPG once:

kanji1.jpg

...twice...

kanji2.JPG

...five times...

kanji3.JPG

You can probably see the huge amount of data loss there. JPG just doesn't work for anything except photos.

One final comparison on a more "real-life" example:

smw.png

smw.jpg

See the difference in the JPG? Faded colours, random pixels, and more odd distortions.

Also, PNGs support alpha channels. JPGs don't even support transparent colours.

We are now on livejournal' date=' This will help keep everyone informed and to know who all we have working on this project http://community.livejournal.com/anthro_dev/

[/quote']

I don't have a livejournal account... is it strictly necessary?

Well If you want to see the info that we want our people to be aware of, yes. If not then no. Basically if we do work like say creating character bios they go on the website, or Details of the world, pre-public releases, all these will go in the members only section of the journal

So strictly speaking, yes this is necessary

As far as .jpegs, I see your point, though I haven't seen this effect in scanned in images, definitely if we edit them though it would be a good idea to switch them over to .png

We'd like it if everyone interested would show up in #anthro_dev on irc.red-king.org at 6PM MST on Saturday, Oct 24 to kind of get a clue as to who all is going to be helping us, and we may start making it a regular thing to meet and discuss ideas.

We'd like it if everyone interested would show up in #anthro_dev on irc.red-king.org at 6PM MST on Saturday' date=' Oct 24 to kind of get a clue as to who all is going to be helping us, and we may start making it a regular thing to meet and discuss ideas.

[/quote']

I'll try to be there, but I'm not sure when I'll get back from my hiking class that day... ^.^; (this hiking class is also the reason why someone has been covering for me in the Bible study I was leading on Saturdays...).

As far as .jpegs' date=' I see your point, though I haven't seen this effect in scanned in images, definitely if we edit them though it would be a good idea to switch them over to .png

[/quote']

That is because these are essentially photographs, have natural colour distortion, and are not distorted much more by the JPG format itself.

Huh' date=' I didn't see the post about the IRC room. owell.

[/quote']

Well it kind of flopped anyway, since I forgot to take time zones into account (at least it's an assumption of mine that thats part of the reason). We'll try this again at 5PM MST / 7PM Eastern that way we don't conflict with the internet mass. We can also set up meetings seperate for those who can't make it to this time, If this is a problem be sure to message me so we can set this up