Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
Hybrilynx

Christian Furs Games

Okay so if making the first game never fails, I've made this main post with all the data we have so far (and I'm keeping the spelling right!).

Anyway, here's the information:

- RPG in the future (not sure how far)

- Single player

Items or stuff:

- Potions

Other Ideas or something:

- Basic Status Points (xp, atk, def, speed, sickness, sleepy, hungry, needs to pee)

Now you post your ideas or whatever you want, okay!

Edited by Hybrilynx

hungry, needs to pee type stuff gets overly complicated.  Then instead of doing an RPG its more like a sim, would turn some people off.

Edited by Lu-Man

Again, are we needing a shooter?  an action/RPG type thing?  What are you wanting?  I'm willing to write something, just not code (I suck at code), but I can try my hand at a back story of some kind.

I tried to organize one before.  There's a lot of initial excitement, but no one wants to put any effort into it after it becomes apparent that it's going to take work.

We can try again though.  I have stories, I'm a writer, and have lots of ideas.  And barring that, I can organize.

i can probably make anything that does not have 3d objects (like call of duty, minecraft, etc). as for what the game(s) would be, im just the guy who can make it (come to life when you load the page (program it)). its up to everyone else what they want the game(s) to be like or have. which should be easy enough.

Edited by Hybrilynx

How involved are we talking here, though?  If you're thinking of going full out, we can come up with an action/RPG style story-line.  I'd like to see an RPG that's more set in the future, than in the past (just cause it's hardly ever done).  If noone wants to do something that would take months, perhaps something smaller, more on an angry birds scale?

What are some thoughts?

personally i dont really see anything that hard about making games as long as if it doesnt have 3d objects and if were talking about computer games.

but anyway i dont want to be in charge. i just want to be told, "do this", "make this", "when this happens do that". but so far i guess we will start off with an rpg game. i dont see anyone with another option, so..

but anyway as far as how long will i be into this, since im probably the most important unless if someone else is into programming the game, its pretty much until i die :3

Well, to piggyback on Jude a bit, making video games is a lot more time and effort intensive than we like to think. And I'm talking about those of us who kind of know what we're doing.

I've been wanting to start a game project for years, and I've never quite mustered the will or perseverance for various reasons that I hope are fading.

Anyway, long story short, you should start with a very small project - Asteroids small - and complete that very simple game before trying for anything more.  Plan it out, scope it down to something very narrow and precise, and then figure out who is going to do what pieces and exactly what those pieces are going to look like, and only then start the thing.

Once that small game is complete, then you can look to a bit bigger project that, once it's also done, can be further built upon and iterated out to become the game you're hoping for right now.

For all the advice I've read, and believe me, I've read a lot, starting very, very small is key.

And you are thinking Java proper, right Hybrilynx?  The Javascript I know is a very basic form of C/C++ that runs in browsers.

PS: The RPG is a terrible, terrible genre to have your first game be modeled after. There's systems upon systems that all have to interact with each other, not to mention the content and balancing that goes into such a thing.  RPGs are some of the hardest games to make out there, period.

For a first game exercise, you want something like a simple platformer or schmup at worst, Tetris and Asteroids more ideally. Take the simplest of games on Kongregate or Newgrounds, and then think simpler.

That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking.  If everyone isn't willing to work on this hobby project for years (and I do mean years) then it might be a better idea to do something small.

RPGs can have large sweeping stories yes, but they take years to produce.

Well, to piggyback on Jude a bit, making video games is a lot more time and effort intensive than we like to think. And I'm talking about those of us who kind of know what we're doing.

I've been wanting to start a game project for years, and I've never quite mustered the will or perseverance for various reasons that I hope are fading.

Anyway, long story short, you should start with a very small project - Asteroids small - and complete that very simple game before trying for anything more.  Plan it out, scope it down to something very narrow and precise, and then figure out who is going to do what pieces and exactly what those pieces are going to look like, and only then start the thing.

Once that small game is complete, then you can look to a bit bigger project that, once it's also done, can be further built upon and iterated out to become the game you're hoping for right now.

For all the advice I've read, and believe me, I've read a lot, starting very, very small is key.

And you are thinking Java proper, right Hybrilynx?  The Javascript I know is a very basic form of C/C++ that runs in browsers.

if i have to start asteroids small then i would just make it for the 3ds browser. i can do that btw. and its javascript only.

-----

but anyway i think i said it already but i just want to be in charge of programming the game. i dont see a problem if we start with an rpg game though. its not like we cant update it later. for an rpg, and actually this is what i was thinking about doing myself on my website, is start off in some sort of small area just to get started, then update it later with newer rooms and other things. so basically like, for a random game, lets say you just start in a house and your just completely surrounded by trees. of course this game would suck, theres nothing to do but when we update it later we would just add like 2 guards somewhere in the back with a new passage way, and if you talk to the guards they would say something like "We saw your house from town so we made this passage way so you can visit", or something. And in town if theres like a building where we want potions or something, but were not done programming it, it would just be a building being under construction.

but so long story short, we dont have to make a full game right out of nowhere. we can just update it with new stuff later. thats how minecraft works, anyway. i dont know how you would save your data though, but i guess we will deal with that later. if all else fails i would either save data with cookies or on my website but i would prefer here. i wouldnt mind a rpg becuz in maybe a few days im going to start working on something like an rpg game for 3ds browsers anyway.

Ok, how about a simple RPG style combat game.  Leaving the combat system up to you, either turn based or action based (although I prefer action).  Nothing fancy.  One house (players).  A spot with a random monster generator that only shoots out one monster (for now) and one store where the player can purchase goods.  Goods would simply for now be a healing potion, and some sort of attack potion, like poison or something.  Prices up to you.  Money system also up to you.  Lets start with that, and we can expand upon it later.

Hows that sound?

sounds like something i can finish in hours. but hey, thats fine. the only problem is that i can only program it with javascript, somebody else has to focus on the sprites and maps and stuff like that. so i guess where going to start off with something like zenonia then or what?

oh and yeah, im not really familiar with online multiplayer either. so it would be single player.

well anyway i dont want to be in charge becuz i have other things that needs my focus. which is basically code stuff. but anyway, so this is what we have so far. and i mean, absolutely everything i can think of:

- Some RPG somewhere in the future

- Single player

- Does stuff with Potions

i think thats it. so i guess movements would be like pokemon games and by that i mean like everything is in squares. well anyway for me, you dont need fully created maps btw. maps can be sketches (whoever makes them) but whatever is on the map, like trees, i would need a sprite of 1 tree. sprites of the same tree means i can make trees animated.

but seriously, everybody who wants to help i would like to know who. or just post ideas. you dont have to worry about me programming anything (except major things like 3d objects, real life physics, large data like minecraft (billions of blocks. but NOT including millions), and online real time multiplayer).

-----

edert:

okay so im making the main post the post to lookforward to. so yeah, when this thread gets so many comments, you dont have to read every single one. just read the first one. and lets not forget this is everyones game. if i was in charge i would just make it myself. so im not in charge. i just want to program stuff and thats it. the rest is up to everybody else.

Edited by Hybrilynx

I tried to organize one before.  There's a lot of initial excitement, but no one wants to put any effort into it after it becomes apparent that it's going to take work.

^This.

^And this.

If you want to make a game it's going to take work (even if it doesn't feel like work because you enjoy it).  If you want to make a great game, then it's going to take even more work.  And if you aren't going to make it by yourself, then you'll need organization and good communication to ensure the game stays on track.  All of this requires a time commitment.

Even more important, though, is to have a specific goal.  It sounds like you want to make an RPG, but that is still too vague.  So set out your goal as specific as possible.  Then set aside that goal for when you have more experience and work on a simpler game in the same vein.

For instance, if your goal is to make a 3D steampunk RPG with anthropomorphic characters, branching quests, voice acting, and an epic soundtrack, you'll need to have experience and/or team members with experience to make that happen.  And you can get experience by removing complexity where possible.  For RPGs that would be by starting as a text-based game or a pen and paper system (if PnP, then the next step would be to convert to text-based), which allows you to focus on the mechanics, characters, world, and story of the game without graphics and sound complicating things.  And to start it should have linear quests.

Once you have the core down, then you can start adding in complexities a little bit at a time (making a new game as needed).  By the time this iterative process is finished, you should have several games that have helped you learn how to make the game you really want to make.

Like Jude, I have stories, am a writer, and have lots of ideas. But (also like Jude, I'm guessing), I'm busy and have several other projects I'm already working on.  So I'm not going to put my time into this if there aren't a goal and other people committed to sticking with the project to the completion of at least the first iteration of a game.

i was guessing people would be excited but i guess not. i mean for me, if people give me the sprites, and stuff, im very sure i can even make a copy of http://christianfurs.net/topic/5568-dust-an-elysian-tail/ (if that is sprites, it looks like sprites on my laptop though). and i was expecting people to want to make a furry game or something. i guess not.

It's not that I'm not excited.  It's that I have novels, comics, conlangs (some on behalf of an indie dev), Bible study (I'm hoping to start back up this week or next--my schedule has been disrupted greatly the last few months), inventorying books, cleaning, visiting with grandma-in-law, and other such things already on my plate.

It's also that I have already had excitement for a game project or two that fell through after the person proposing it sort of stopped working on it.  If I am going to volunteer my time, then I want to make sure that something will come of it so that I can be fine with not putting that time toward one of my personal projects.

The issue for me right now is that 'RPG' and 'furry game' are too vague of concepts.  So if you want to get me jumping up and down excited, then someone will have to lay out something more specific.

hm. mp. well we could work on more then one game, @anyone. i seriously dont have an issue with programming the game(s). im pretty much going to do it infinitely for my website anyway, and my main focus is the 3ds browser which sucks really bad, so its not something i would quit completely unless i chose not to do it, just becuz.

but still, we dont need to make anything big, like its been said before. if we just want to spam mini games then thats fine too. as long as someone else does the art and ideas.

Well, for me, I don't want to write an indepth invovled story line that just gets way-laid cause everyone ditches the project.  So I'm taking a wait and see attitude.  It would be great if it works.  However, I've been through this before (I attempted a round robin story writing bit a few years back).  Everyone has great enthusiasm...until the realize the project will take longer than two months.  Then work is slow in coming...then...not at all.

So like I said: I have a wait and see attitude.

A thought just occurred to me.  You want a Christian furry RPG right?  Well, how about one where the player is the guardian angel of a character?  You try and steer your guy through right and wrong, nudging him towards good away from bad that sort of thing.  Wouldn't be any monster battles to speak of really, but could create some great puzzle situations.

Its also an easy way to make it furry (change the societal needs to suit the characters different senses) and also easy way to slip in scripture, etc....

Whatcha think?

A thought just occurred to me.  You want a Christian furry RPG right?  Well, how about one where the player is the guardian angel of a character?  You try and steer your guy through right and wrong, nudging him towards good away from bad that sort of thing.  Wouldn't be any monster battles to speak of really, but could create some great puzzle situations.

Its also an easy way to make it furry (change the societal needs to suit the characters different senses) and also easy way to slip in scripture, etc....

Whatcha think?

Honestly, that would be a bit too hokey and heavy handed.

The best Christian games are those that tell a good story from the worldview of faith, love and holiness that come from the Christian worldview.  People remember and enjoy Myst. People tend to unhappily remember that Noah's Ark game for the SNES years ago.

Tell a great story, make sure the gameplay is innovative and enjoyable and do all things for the glory of God.  (NB: stay away from explicit mentions of Scripture. The people who most need to hear and see them wouldn't want to play a game with those.)

well, my thought process on that was a game that we would enjoy, not necessarily something to bring the word to others.  I figured if we enjoyed it enough and God wanted to use it to spread his word so be it.

But I do see your point and will come up with something else.

well it doesnt have to be a christian specific game. personally i would think making games that attract people would be better first, so that after we get moar attention we can make christian specific games. i mean, theres nothing wrong making a game like pokemon.