Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
Sign in to follow this  
Falux

Final Fantasy 13-2

I just about exploded into happiness when I saw that trailer for the very first time! XD I'm definitely going to watch the cutscenes on the internet when it comes out. That dark-haired guy and Lightning look awesome! :D:D:D

I LOVE FFXIII. I am definitely looking forward to this sequal. I've never played FFVII, but the graphics and plot of XIII were and still are amazing. And I wants Fang and Vanille back... Fang is awesome :P

Seriously...what has happened to our society that games like Call of Duty are considered more popular the masterpieces such as those created by Square Enix? :huh: Final Fantasy is the best :D

Seriously...what has happened to our society that games like Call of Duty are considered more popular the masterpieces such as those created by Square Enix? :huh: Final Fantasy is the best :D

Call of duty/halo/etc is more popular because you can play online with friends, and for about 20-30 minutes and have some fun without investing your life into it. It's very easy to learn, but competitive multiplayer keeps it challenging. Most RPGs are absurdly easy outside of postgame and that bores people unless they have an amazing plotline to keep things fresh(which most dont). Also, players who've been playing square-enix games for awhile see that the games basically repeat themselves to a ridiculous degree (dungeon designs, monsters, stories, character archetypes. we've been seeing the EXACT SAME ones since about 1992)

I've played and finished every Final fantasy except 3 for the NES, and while I enjoy them, the storylines of recent games have tended to be pretty nonsensical, repetitive, and trite, and the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired (final fantasy 13 requiring nearly 20 hours of in game tutorial to unlock the full battle system is a fantastic example. I know how to work a battle system with my eyes closed -rpgs are easy- and would rather not play through tutorial mode for that long). The gameplay in 13 was pretty sad too, I can only think of 2-3 post-game fights where I wasnt just idly pressing "autobattle" to win. Maybe a paradigm shift now and then to heal and debuff/rebuff. I really don't feel a game is that engaging when I can win while reading an ebook on another screen. I'm looking forward to 13-2 if for nothing else than to clear up the cluttered plot.

To me,all the Final Fantasy games are special. You are immersed into a different world with each one. When I play,I like to appreciate all the beautiful and creative work that was put into each of the FF games,both storyline and gameplay (the people who made them are geniuses and have many fans including myself XD). I'm happy to say that I'm hooked and will never hate them. :P I agree with Lone Wolf. Final Fantasy and Square Enix are awesome! :D

@Saz: I would say it's more kids have a sick obsession of blowing the heads off of their opponents and proving themselves to be the "best". In some cases it's friends playing, but I see a lot more youtube videos (and here a lot more voices over the speakers in Call of Duty live) cussing and screaming about how nooby I am because I won or because I "camped" or any other nonsense. And don't get me started on the repetitiveness and blandness of those games...Call of Duty Black ops has a 15th prestige which is basically playing the multiplayer 15 times to "beat" it, and the only differences in the call of duty series are the graphical upgrades each time and occasionally new weapons (With the exception of black ops which was a graphical DEgrade). At any rate...war games with that much blood and violence in the hands of most people are not going to help them in any way, and are destructive to their minds. At least I've never seen a youtube video called "Kid gets owned by FF monster and breaks TV". :P. Also the nonsensical stuff in FF is called Fantasy :P

As for the difficulty level, I don't see roleplaying games such as FF as being designed to challenge the player. It's a remote controlled story. It's qualities are in it's environments, the storyline, the characters, etc.. I also see them as completely different from RPGs, since you aren't playing the role of a character, but controlling a character in his or her own life and story. I know it's still classed as an RPG but that's just how I see it. Sometimes these games have a post-game to play around in with more difficult challenges, but for the most part it's just a story.

As for the long tutorial, that was not really long at all...it was simply a mini tutorial each time the story got to a part where you could do something new. Quite ingenious I think, and I never saw it as a tutorial at all. Simply a quick 1 minute read explaining the upgrade to game play.

Bottom line to my previous post though, is I am surprised at how many people consider war and shoot em' up games to be the better of the genres. We already see kids don't obey the age ratings of games, so the fact that people continue to make such games is simply an attack on our society. I can't tell you how many people I know who's biggest goal in life is to get into the army and go to war, all because they think it'll be a real life call of duty. They don't understand though that they only have one life and that there are no respawns. :-/

As a side note and to keep this focussed on Final Fantasy, there are a few repetitive things in the games that are their as fun qualities for the fans. Examples are the Tonberry and Gilgamesh, as well as the crystal theme that runs throughout. When fans see those it's a sort of "Yay! Tonberry is back for more!" sort of moment. :P (I KNOW I am not the only one that laughed like a little kid when the Tonberry ran in and one-hit KOed the Undying Cie'th in that one mission) XD

/me looks at Julia

Am I the only one who thinks we need a T-shirt that has a Tonberry on it with the phrase "I'll be back" written below him? :D

@Saz: I would say it's more kids have a sick obsession of blowing the heads off of their opponents and proving themselves to be the "best". In some cases it's friends playing' date=' but I see a lot more youtube videos (and here a lot more voices over the speakers in Call of Duty live) cussing and screaming about how nooby I am because I won or because I "camped" or any other nonsense. And don't get me started on the repetitiveness and blandness of those games...Call of Duty Black ops has a 15th prestige which is basically playing the multiplayer 15 times to "beat" it, and the only differences in the call of duty series are the graphical upgrades each time and occasionally new weapons (With the exception of black ops which was a graphical DEgrade). At any rate...war games with that much blood and violence in the hands of most people are not going to help them in any way, and are destructive to their minds. At least I've never seen a youtube video called "Kid gets owned by FF monster and breaks TV". :P. Also the nonsensical stuff in FF is called Fantasy :P[/color']

Playing Call of Duty on the PC is a bit of a different experience, because then you have 30 year old sounding men screaming at you. xD

But thats why I dont really play Call of Duty, is because I personally do not like the community/breed of gamers that play there. When it comes to multiplayer I usually like more teamwork based games(Battlefield comes to mind). They usually attract more mature/skilled gamers that dont scream 'noob' every time they get killed. Really, you dont hear much complaining in the game, and the players are quite a bit more respectful with their losses.

And I dont think Saz was bashing FF, but I think he was pointing out why lots of modern day gamers choose games like CoD/Halo/Ect over games like FF. If you ask me, I like to play games that I enjoy, I cannot speak for FF as I have never played it, but I still enjoy playing games like Half-Life Deathmatch(1998 I think...), over Call of Duty. But lots more of the modern day gamers prefer to play games that are popular over ones that are fun.

I'm not accusing anyone of bashing :P

And I don't mind games with fighting shooting whatever, just the games that overdo it. I don't care for a gallon 0f blood exploding from someone's face, nor the outburst from the other side of the TV screen about how I'm a noob and I'm gonna get pwned...cussing not quoted. It's all a matter of preference really. Although one should also take into account the Biblical view. Quite often playing games such as call of duty or halo causes a lot more sinful reactions then games such as FF. For example the rage some people feel when losing, or the overly large amount of pleasure they get from killing other people, even in a game.

In my own family, my brother cusses an awful lot especially after playing call of duty (He generally plays about 6-8 hours a day, sadly). He's good at it, but the negative effects are obvious. He has had games as good as 35 kills 0 deaths, yet still cusses whenever he dies, and at me if I even enter his room when he is playing. He's also only 15. So I have reasons I dislike the games.

This is all off topic though, and really should be put in a different thread instead of Falux's FFXIII-2 thread, assuming the discussion will continue. :P

I'm not accusing anyone of bashing :P

And I don't mind games with fighting shooting whatever' date=' just the games that overdo it. I don't care for a gallon 0f blood exploding from someone's face, nor the outburst from the other side of the TV screen about how I'm a noob and I'm gonna get pwned...cussing not quoted. It's all a matter of preference really. Although one should also take into account the Biblical view. Quite often playing games such as call of duty or halo causes a lot more sinful reactions then games such as FF. For example the rage some people feel when losing, or the overly large amount of pleasure they get from killing other people, even in a game.[/quote']

Call of duty has a very minimal amount of blood in multiplayer, surprisingly. :P

And.. the reactions from players varies from people to people. Categorizing a specific set of tempers to a specific set of gamers hardly makes sense. XD Plus, PC and console are totally different communities. :D

Modern warfare not so bad, but black ops you can actually see brain fragments flying if you get a head shot O_o...and we have a PS3, and generally speaking 2 in 3 games I encounter bad language from players as well as SERIOUSLY offensive emblems (Thanks to Black Ops making your own emblems).

Don't worry guys, I'm not hating on the games or their players. I AM however saying that I see a lot more destruction caused by those games in comparison to those without a shooting or modern war focus. Besides, it's entirely based on personal opinion. I just happen to think that the games should not be so highly rated, that their reasons for being highly rated are not good reasons, and that there are much better games. I'm not pointing fingers :P...(Unless you cuss at your computer screen/TV screen over game results) :dodgy:

Modern warfare not so bad' date=' but black ops you can actually see brain fragments flying if you get a head shot O_o...and we have a PS3, and generally speaking 2 in 3 games I encounter bad language from players as well as SERIOUSLY offensive emblems (Thanks to Black Ops making your own emblems).

Don't worry guys, I'm not hating on the games or their players. I AM however saying that I see a lot more destruction caused by those games in comparison to those without a shooting or modern war focus. Besides, it's entirely based on personal opinion. I just happen to think that the games should not be so highly rated, that their reasons for being highly rated are not good reasons, and that there are much better games. I'm not pointing fingers :P...(Unless you cuss at your computer screen/TV screen over game results) :dodgy:

[/quote']

That's why I play Counter Strike Source, Dedicated Christian Servers, and the ability to mute individual players so you can hear your own footsteps. Final Fantasy is in a category of it's own though.

First, to clarify:

I'm not knocking RPGs, I'm willing to bet I've played more than the rest of you in this thread combined during my teen years alone. I finished almost every game Square ever made on playstation, snes, gba, and a huge portion of the games they made on other systems. (I lived in rural Georgia, life was boring) I'm simply explaining why they're not as popular. Also: online RPG gamers nerdrage just as hard as people in shooters. If you disagree, you've clearly never played FF11, Everquest, Ultima, or WOW. It's the act of being online that turns people into insufferable fools, not the genre. (see also: madden, any other online game ever)

Again, the reason that 'simpler' games are much more popular is because it's competitive. Most people read books when they're interested in storytelling because the quality of a good novel is pretty much always infinitely more complex and intricate than the best of video games. Even the games which are considered the masterpieces are generally very weak storylines with very cliched stereotypical characters. Thats where the visuals and music comes in to make it an interactive experience, but thats not a priority to a great number of gamers. If you're ever on a college campus and look at most of the gamers in dorms, they're playing competitive games like madden, halo, and CoD because it's something fun that an entire group of people can pick up and play with no time investment. That's the key. Most people don't have hundreds of hours to sink into what usually amounts to acceptable storylines at best. Everyone loves FF7 but they forget how sloppy and terrible of a translation it was. It was the literary equivalent of something someone would read in 4th grade (complete with a load of typos, grammatical errors "this guy are sick", etc)

Some RPGs do have fantastic storylines (FFT, Xenogears come to mind right away for me) but a ridiculous amount of them rehash the same storylines and themes over and over. It's getting worse with the new crop of RPGs especially.

@Saz: I would say it's more kids have a sick obsession of blowing the heads off of their opponents and proving themselves to be the "best". In some cases it's friends playing' date=' but I see a lot more youtube videos (and here a lot more voices over the speakers in Call of Duty live) cussing and screaming about how nooby I am because I won or because I "camped" or any other nonsense. And don't get me started on the repetitiveness and blandness of those games...Call of Duty Black ops has a 15th prestige which is basically playing the multiplayer 15 times to "beat" it [/quote']

I play black ops fairly regularly and don't encounter any of what you described -probably because I only use party chat because I hate dealing with the people outside of my groups :3. "competitive" games are designed to be repetitive because it's different challengers every game. See: any sport ever, card games, chess, or basically any competitive activity. The formula doesn't change much, just the people playing. You don't have to buy the new edition every year, just buy it if you think it's worth the cost (I love cold war weaponry and the competitive balance makes it something I play regularly, so I bought Black ops. I didnt buy MW2 or WAW because I didnt feel them worth my money. This was fine because plenty of people still play COD4 online). People like that because they don't have time to learn new rules and conventions every few months. I can't believe you even brought up a completely cosmetic thing like prestige when many of the final fantasy games literally required dozen of hours of repetitive grinding of random encounters just to finish the main storyline. (Sup FFj4 hardtype exdeath and FFX-2!)

as far as innovation goes, call of duty 4 introduced far more to the genre than any shooter since half-life. I didn't care for MW2 or WAW, but Black ops did a fantastic job of balancing the competitive play and refining it to a much more playable form than MW2 had.

As for the long tutorial' date=' that was not really long at all...it was simply a mini tutorial each time the story got to a part where you could do something new. Quite ingenious I think, and I never saw it as a tutorial at all. Simply a quick 1 minute read explaining the upgrade to game play.[/quote']

It's a 20 hour tutorial, no doubt about it. It limited everything about the game to a ridiculous degree. I was horribly disappointed in how they handled that. The "game" didnt really start until chapter 11. It may be the first RPG I've played in 20 years where I can literally nail down gameplay to "run straight down linear hallway" and "press autobattle button". I felt it paled compared to other Xbox rpgs, like Lost odyssey, but thats just my opinion.

Modern warfare not so bad' date=' but black ops you can actually see brain fragments flying if you get a head shot O_o...and we have a PS3, and generally speaking 2 in 3 games I encounter bad language from players as well as SERIOUSLY offensive emblems (Thanks to Black Ops making your own emblems).

[/quote']

That's why I play Counter Strike Source, Dedicated Christian Servers, and the ability to mute individual players so you can hear your own footsteps. Final Fantasy is in a category of it's own though.

This.

Isn't this topic supposed to be for FF 13-2? O__o

Please no more arguments or debates,they make me all nervous and depressed...x___X

And again,I agree with The Lone Wolf on this. He's smart and I respect him for what he has to say because he's right.

I'm not gonna argue Saz. As I said before if we are gonna have a debate' date=' it can be somewhere else. Not on Felux's thread =P We are all entitled to our own opinions on games and game genres. It's all a matter of opinion :P

[/quote']

That's fine man, but if you ask a question like that in a thread be prepared for people to answer you. That's the nature of conversations.

I'm hoping in FFXIII-2 they keep the same battle system, paradigms and all. And I hope they add ways in which Lightning can still keep her magic abilities, in spite of the fact she's no longer L'cie.

Something just occurred to me though... Lightning is the one who's L'cie brand we never see because it's on her chest, so again we never officially see it leave...what if it's still there only burnt like Fang's was? o.o

I've never actually played any Final Fantasy games, mostly because I don't really like RPGs. RPGs cause me to scream and cuss at the TV! :D (I'm serious! They really do!)

Something just occurred to me though... Lightning is the one who's L'cie brand we never see because it's on her chest' date=' so again we never officially see it leave...what if it's still there only burnt like Fang's was? o.o

[/quote']

Lightning was given the same focus as the others (except fang and vanille?) by Anima, so I can't see why hers alone would stay. I'm sure they'll find some way to keep magic in the game...that or they'll go the FFX-2 route and just give her machine guns for some wacky reason.

Well with her Gunblade already as a primary weapon I don't think additional guns would make sense. However there was mention of the goddess Etro playing a larger part in the story, so magic could still be an easy possibility. :D

(Likes magic)

Rofl, this thing is so tl;dr.

It sucks that that trailer spoils the ending for FFXIII! I haven't beat it yet! D:

I can't wait to play XIII-2 though. Granted, FFXIII is designed to have hours upon hours of extra gameplay (I saw someone on YouTube with over 120 hours o.x), despite maybe not having as much content as Dragon Quest IX (about the same amount of extra playtime if not way more due to the legacy bosses and DLC quests)

Also, random: