Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
Sign in to follow this  
Flechmen

Account pruning and spam control

As most active folks here know, this isn't an advertising forum, and recently I've been really paying attention to new registrations and banning the aparent spammers.

So, I'm going to try to really combat this in the near futre (later today perhaps).

So far, I've been just manually banning spam accounts and I made a little script that automatically clears out the signature and website profile fields of anyone that gets banned.

Its getting to the point where there are 5 to 10 spam registrations a day.

So, I'm going to try some things.

I'm going to try implementing some stronger spam control on registration, pruning some accounts, and making it so you can't edit your profile at all until you make a post.

This won't affect any legitimate active members of course.

If you are an advertiser and reading this, go elsewhere.

I have been thinking on some kind of an ad-affiliate program for active members but that may be a ways off.

But, yeah, just a heads up I guess.

Sorry I never sent any more names to ya. I've had a rather hectic life the past few months. :s

Good luck on the banning of the advertisers though :) Maybe you could take 5 or so trusted forum members and give them banning abilities and assign them to banning advertisers or something.

There has always been a capthcha ("security code"). I put in a better one than what we were using before.

It does seem that our spambotage has gone down to 2 registrations in the last 2 days.

Sign in to follow this