Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nathan of the Little Paws

Nathan's Quest - RPG in development by Nathan Karr

I had a private project I was making this spring out of stress over my relationship, depicting a fantasized version of me going to Maryland to meet my beloved Katelyn. In the game, she was a princess, I was a knight, her father was the king, and upon arrival I discovered she was abducted by a dragon.

While I made a fair bit of progress on it and showed her video over Skype, I didn't keep backups of the game files. My computer went kaput early this summer and once I had it looked at by a computer guy, the game's files were among the only ones missing from the hard drive. About a month after I discovered this symbolic destruction of my relationship, Katie decided to call the whole thing off.

I did, however, salvage some graphics from screenshots I was taking of the game during development. From these, and a set of graphics I threw together for a collaborative project which never got off the ground, I've started to make a new game. Here, then, are some of the results of those graphics:

CWhFraS.pngqujQVMY.pngXBQFMzC.pngfnpsxT4.pngFd1cV75.pnguK8ZVQL.png

I use Dropbox as my desktop.

If its just a PC internet browser game I could probably create a JavaScript thing to make your game easy to program yourself.

Edited by Hybrilynx

I use Dropbox as my desktop.

I used DropBox to share some screenshots of the cancelled game project (titled Nathan Karr is Great.RPG) but I didn't want to share the game files in an early demo format anywhere before I was ready for people to take in the whole experience. Since I knew the computer was on its last legs I probably should have saved a copy to my flash drive.

DropBox is a useful tool to have, but it's not going to replace my desktop and hard drive folders.

Since my girlfriend left me and the game's story was extremely reliant on the assumption that we were headed towards marriage together I wouldn't have wanted to continue it anyway.

If its just a PC internet browser game I could probably create a JavaScript thing to make your game easy to program yourself.

It's not an Internet browser game. It's being made in a proprietary RPG engine I've been using since around this time of year in 2002. I haven't the foggiest how to actually program a game.

If I finish or have a substantial demo, I can also get it ported to Android phones.

Wow! You did well! I like it! :D

It's so funny how all tiles have text in case the player doesn't know what they resemble XD heheh. It's a good pun. I remember when I made a SMB3 hack and put "LAVA" text over lava XD

Also, sorry that I didn't comment it. CF server had problems whenever I'd post my message. It just hated my messages. So, I basically forgot about your topic all until I went to this subforum.

Edited by Zvoc47

fi51aH2.png

This is Minkshake, the character who lives at The End of the Game and appears in the opening cutscene to tell you that the game's goal is exactly that.

She's a character who's been appearing in my dreams since a couple weeks before Katie broke up with me, comforting me in my distress and telling me that she is my actual soulmate. I haven't been able to ascertain the veracity of this statement so prayers for clarity would be much appreciated; running on the likely thought that she's a personal coping mechanism my own subconscious mind cobbled together out of things I like, she makes a pretty decent end goal for a game like this I'd say and if she is real then that'd just make it better.

Minkshake is such a cutie (and I'm not just saying that because I like mustelids). The second and the fifth pictures in that series are my favorites, and the fourth one is also pretty cool. The third one kind of looks odd, though, because of the eyes. The solid, beady, inexpressive eyes seem to imply (to me, at least) that she's not a sapient creature, even though she is. I'm not sure if you did that on purpose or not - I don't really know the context in which that image appears in the game, so it might make more sense in context.

She's a character who's been appearing in my dreams since a couple weeks before Katie broke up with me, comforting me in my distress and telling me that she is my actual soulmate. I haven't been able to ascertain the veracity of this statement so prayers for clarity would be much appreciated; running on the likely thought that she's a personal coping mechanism my own subconscious mind cobbled together out of things I like, she makes a pretty decent end goal for a game like this I'd say and if she is real then that'd just make it better.

Your theory that "she's a personal coping mechanism [your] own subconscious mind cobbled together out of things [you] like" is the theory I'm running with as well. But of course, I can't say for sure any more than you can. So I'll be praying for you on that.

i know that feeling. Jenna, a character of mine, is a bit like that, but more so comedic relief than imaginary relationship.

i'll pray for clarity, and maybe the one who becomes your wife will love Minkshake and, in a way, become her.

Edited by Cobalt-Lukather

Minkshake is such a cutie (and I'm not just saying that because I like mustelids). The second and the fifth pictures in that series are my favorites, and the fourth one is also pretty cool. The third one kind of looks odd, though, because of the eyes. The solid, beady, inexpressive eyes seem to imply (to me, at least) that she's not a sapient creature, even though she is. I'm not sure if you did that on purpose or not - I don't really know the context in which that image appears in the game, so it might make more sense in context.

The main reason is really just that I was trying to make as many stylistic differences as I could between these pictures to represent her power to shapeshift from a mustelid as depicted in one artstyle to being a mustelid as depicted in another. You can find rough photographic matches for the first four Minkshake portraits by Googling "White mink" and the fifth by Googling "Minerva Mink".

Thank you for saying she's cute, though!

I have had characters that were my own coping mechanisms. I'm glad someone does it too.

One of the other artists I know on FurAffinity seems to have a similar experience as well. It might just be a natural and under-reported activity for emotionally wounded creative types?

i'll pray for clarity, and maybe the one who becomes your wife will love Minkshake and, in a way, become her.

Thank you for the prayers. And yes, I've entertained this notion as a possibility too; in many ways it would be more desirable than for her to have already had the character design in her head before meeting me and the same dreams from the other side.

Now for some screenshots showing progress on the actual game: 

9tTWKJ2.png

I couldn't use this file as my signature so I had to make another copy saved as a .GIF. Such weird and arbitrary rules; you'd think the .GIF format would be the one disallowed due to its great potential for abuse. Anyway, this gag will be removed before the game's release; I just wanted to make this screenshot my signature on a few forums.

4NvzGAf.png

I have two frames for her to appear on the game map and, since she's just going to be standing in the game's final room as the end goal, that's all she needs.

That's all I did today, but it's a lot better than doing nothing.

The main reason is really just that I was trying to make as many stylistic differences as I could between these pictures to represent her power to shapeshift from a mustelid as depicted in one artstyle to being a mustelid as depicted in another. You can find rough photographic matches for the first four Minkshake portraits by Googling "White mink" and the fifth by Googling "Minerva Mink".

So that's why you labeled this as "Transformation" on FA! It's a cool concept, and not one I've seen very often - a character who can change their art style at will.

Thank you for saying she's cute, though!

You're very welcome!

9tTWKJ2.png

I couldn't use this file as my signature so I had to make another copy saved as a .GIF. Such weird and arbitrary rules; you'd think the .GIF format would be the one disallowed due to its great potential for abuse. Anyway, this gag will be removed before the game's release; I just wanted to make this screenshot my signature on a few forums.

Maybe you could include this as an Easter egg or otherwise hide it somewhere in the game? I like little hidden secrets like that.

A lot of things of furry psychology and quirks are common, but undocumented and unreported.

I've noticed this too. We furries are an odd group indeed (and I say that affectionately, of course).

I don't understand what you mean by affectionately. But anyways, I don't know why we all furries like transformation and shapeshifting in some way; why some of us like certain body-oriented things like inflation, flattening, immobilization; why we all think alike so much; and yet, against all odds, we're still affectionate and friendly and together.

Edited by Zvoc47

I don't understand what you mean by affectionately. But anyways, I don't know why we all furries like transformation and shapeshifting in some way; why some of us like certain body-oriented things like inflation, flattening, immobilization; why we all think alike so much; and yet, against all odds, we're still affectionate and friendly and together.

What I meant by "affectionately" was that I think that we furries tend to be quirky and often weird, but I still love my furry friends. :D

And, as someone who is obsessed with interested in such things, I've speculated that maybe so many furries find transformation/shapeshifting interesting because the whole act of creating/role-playing as a fursona is kind of like shapeshifting. It involves taking on a physical/visual form that's different from the one you have in real life. Of course, it's not really shapeshifting, but it's kind of like a mental "simulation" of it, I guess?

Sorry for going off-topic, Nathan. I just thought I'd add my $0.02 on that subject. (I like coming up with armchair psychology theories.)

xs2a1hD.png

R772ogp.png

bLrdJ7B.png

I've made a small tweak to the Minifigure's overworld sprite and plan to get out one of my actual toys to use as a reference image for tweaking the portrait. This, and the penny, are probably the only objects in the whole game that are actually scaled to my fursona correctly.

7vUzSnm.png

This is a graphic for when you open a treasure chest that happens to be a monster which will attack you.

zV0eC8O.png

This is a Lamental, an elemental giant of Sadness. I had one of these as the boss of my first game made in this engine and its design was a throwback to the giants of Castle of the Winds, one of my favorite PC Roguelikes.

bmEHmeP.png

Beating this robot grants Shoop Man the ability to shoot slices of toast at high velocities.

Anyone have any suggestions for more boss robots?

Some sort of spoof on the FNaF animatronics, maybe? Or the Internet/furry fandom's "interpretations" thereof?

Some sort of spoof on the FNaF animatronics, maybe? Or the Internet/furry fandom's "interpretations" thereof?

Some sort of robot boss visually inspired by an animatronic animal could have potential. Any ideas for things like a species, a silly name ending in -Man or -Woman, or a special attack for it to use?

Some sort of robot boss visually inspired by an animatronic animal could have potential. Any ideas for things like a species, a silly name ending in -Man or -Woman, or a special attack for it to use?

Well, if you want a blatant parody of FNaF, the animal species in that game were a fox (Foxy), a chicken (Chica), a rabbit (Bonnie), and a bear (Freddy). (Not counting Balloon Boy, unless you count humans as "animals".) But if you want to avoid being too close to the FNaF games, you could go with a wolf, a cat, a lion, a monkey, a gorilla, or a human, just to name a few. (All of those have been done before by various pizza restaurants.)

If you go with a lion, then Lionman would be a good name, as well as being a Mumford and Sons reference. Or if you choose a human, then maybe Humanman (just because of the sheer stupidity of the name)?

As for an attack, throwing its head (Golden Freddy in FNaF 2), biting the enemy's head (Golden Freddy in FNaF 4), or slapping the player really hard (Chuck E. Cheese in this video) are all options. Or maybe something involving electric shock and a joke about faulty wiring?

Edited by Joshua Reynard

a fight against a broken robot may have shocking conclusions *ba dum tss*

i think Humanman would be pretty funny. especially if it was a robot that is completely convinced it is a human. or go with a pirate fennec fox whose attitude is giant in comparison to his /her tiny body and is a clear fanboy of a certain animatronic.

you could always go with an MLG parody. such as a Shrek rip-off that sings a parody of Red's song "Already Over" (as Already Ogre). or better yet, a raging 13 year old kid that screams annoyingly and smashes everything and throws Xbox controllers and broken Call of Duty disks at you.