Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
Guest donaldjerry

Importance of Prayer

Guest donaldjerry

Getting a job is useful. it's important. It's necessary. It's good. Same with passing college classes. Another example (a little different): getting married is good, and we really want it. Companionship is really sought after, it's helpful, it's just a good thing.So...I've been trying to compile a list of reasons why it's, say, useful, helpful, beneficial, important, necessary, needed, etc. to pray (amongst other things). I do youth and college ministry, and when we make to much of spiritual disciplines, people think we're being pharisees- and maybe we are, but I'm trying to stop, which is why I'm asking for advice here. Anyway...Here's some things I came up with.- Trains you to think only about what's most important in life.- Trains you to focus your love on God alone.- Gets your mind of less important things- Trains your mind to think nonsinfully/ unsinful.- Helps you formulate clear and concise thoughts of God and for God.- Prayer should act as a filter- what are things you pray about most often with the most resolve in all seriousness without any breach of conscience: those are probably the most important things in life.But even these answers probably seem to "churchy", to much like Sunday School answers, for youth and college kids. And I'm missing the relationship aspect- i don't really know how to say it apart from the whole marriage analogy. And of course, if you're of my persuasion and think prayer really does change things, then you've got a REAL conundrum, because then you've got the whole "so many prayers [seem to] go unanswered".What I want is for people to not just see prayer as a good thing, or as a necessary means- I want them to see it as actually important enough that they can't go a day without doing it, like eating. Or a moment without doing it, like breathing. College kids wouldn't miss a test, or an important job interview, or call off a date at the last minute with a "very important someone". It's even harder to make parallels for youth, because to them, so many things are just not important, not necessary.To make a long story short, how can I show prayer to be (for lack of a better phrase) of infinite importance? Maybe some of you guys could help me word my thoughts better as well.

I think the relationship you build/maintain while praying should be the main reason for prayer. It's really that simple.

If we are Christian, believing in God, then we should get to know Him. To do this, we can read the Bible and pray. These are our most direct links to God.

It seems to me the first few points you have are kind of indirect... I think the main thing is that to talk with God we pray. We should do this constantly (as written in the Bible) so that we have a good relationship with God. A good relationship with God generally means that we will sin less; God will be able to help you much more in all areas of your life.

As for prayers (specifically requests in prayers) going unanswered, we must remember:

-Prayers are always answered. However, "No" is also an answer.

-Some prayers are answered "yes" - but in God's own time.

-Is the request something that will fit in God's will? Is it made from a Christian heart or a greedy mind?

"- what are things you pray about most often with the most resolve in all seriousness without any breach of conscience: those are probably the most important things in life."

I wish to disagree with this. Even if you meant "most important things to you in your life", this probably isn't a good measure. I might be misunderstanding what you're trying to say. One might be serious about X and almost never pray about it because there's little or nothing to say. Or, the opposite, one might pray for an enemy out of love - not because that enemy is an important aspect of that person's life, but because that person feels compassion for his/her enemy.

I like the message from this video (on the subject of praying):

http://www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=eb0b7b372491d8bef98b

If you think of praying as sitting down with Jesus and talking - as friends just as much as servant to Master, I think it adds meaning to prayer. You aren't just sending out random thoughts into space, you're actually talking with God on a personal level.

Hope this helps.