• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#41 Drummer Boy

Drummer Boy

• Christians†
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:13 PM

Thanks Flech. Ill be sure to do that. By the way, it was IE 6 HuskyDog.
I am a musician not a computer guy, so I need all the help I can get. :blush:
My computer has 2 cup-holders...LOL

Update: Got Firefox, feels good to have the use of tabs again, OOOO!!! and customizable skins.
I was even able to make the desktop Icon a Black Fox version of the Fire Fox!

I have ZoneAlarm Anti Virus and Firewall Security. Does anybody know of something better?
I also have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and C-Cleaner installed on my computer. I use C-Cleaner all the time.

AVG Free works great.

Well, I've built my new computer for myself, and I'm running 7 on it this moment. And I've gotta say...coming from a former Ubuntu/XP user, Windows 7 makes everything else, including OS X, look like trash. There's no way I'm downloading the unstable Google Chrome or the bloated and annoying Firefox again, or installing the way of space Linux is compared to what I have now. Absolutely no crashes, even pushed to the limits of its performance; completely stable and secure system with MSE installed.

Well, thanks to Windows 7, my hard drive is now dying.
And, yes, Ubuntu isn't pretty, hence why I recomend Mint. And, using the system for 3 days doesn't qualify you as a Ubuntu user.

Three days? Eh?

Looks like I'm going to have to put the origonal hard drive back in my computer, I'll reinstall the OEM copy of XP.

Can you post a link to what your hard drive is? I'm doubting it's anything inherently wrong in 7 causing the problem.
My code: FDDwm5ad A+ C- D H+ P+ R++ T W- Z- Sm! a- cln d e f p-- sm-
Decode it.

#42 Adair

Adair

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3107 posts
  • Species:Albino Red Fox

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:19 AM

Three days? Eh?
Can you post a link to what your hard drive is? I'm doubting it's anything inherently wrong in 7 causing the problem.

The 250 GB version of this. Its actually a Seagate SATA drive inside that happens to be the same kind of drive used in most laptop computers.
And, yes, it would be having something to with 7 because that is the one and only system that has given me problems. Prior versions of Windows did fine, Linux did excellent (never a single crash). It wasn't until polluting my drive with 7 that I started having issues.

All 7 seems to be is an even more flashy interface on Vista. As far as the back-end (control panel, little utilities and such) goes, I couldn't see a difference between 7 and Server '08 (Vista with all the frills stripped out).

There's no point in arguing it, so I'm not going to. 7 is a failure in my book. You can praise it all you want but that doesn't:
1) Replace/fix my hard drive
2) Give me back my lost time
3) Change my experience.

Looks don't thrill me, performance does. I actually rather disliked the fact that 7 insisted on its taskbar taking up so much real estate on my screen. The visual effects can be duplicated if not improved upon by Compiz, which has been around for a few years now.

*I'm not trying to be mean sounding in my posts :<

Suggestion Box | Artist Application

XBL/PSN: DanTheFox98 | Skype/Steam: Danrulz98

Profile/refsheet

#43 Drummer Boy

Drummer Boy

• Christians†
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:39 AM

Three days? Eh?

The 250 GB version of this. Its actually a Seagate SATA drive inside that happens to be the same kind of drive used in most laptop computers.
And, yes, it would be having something to with 7 because that is the one and only system that has given me problems. Prior versions of Windows did fine, Linux did excellent (never a single crash). It wasn't until polluting my drive with 7 that I started having issues.

Well, yes it must be connected to 7. The question is whether it's the fault of 7 or the fault of how your computer interacts with 7, because due to my experience and lots of performance tests, 7 is pretty much the most stable OS out there right now. It comes down to the fact that 7 is new and created for newer computers, so don't expect it to always run well on computers designed for and older OS.

All 7 seems to be is an even more flashy interface on Vista. As far as the back-end (control panel, little utilities and such) goes, I couldn't see a difference between 7 and Server '08 (Vista with all the frills stripped out).

Here's a performance test of 7 that found it higher performance and more stable than both Vista and XP. Even though a lot of random performance statistics on blogs aren't totally trustworthy, my experience confirms this. Windows XP was installed on this machine for a bit, and it ran significantly slower than 7, and less stable too.

There's no point in arguing it, so I'm not going to. 7 is a failure in my book. You can praise it all you want but that doesn't:
1) Replace/fix my hard drive
2) Give me back my lost time
3) Change my experience.

I would say the problem is that you're applying your experience to Windows 7 as if it worked the same on all machines. Even the beta version ran for months on a friend's computer with no crashes whatsoever, ever, and no glitches or bugs, ever. That's like saying if I have a bad experience with something once, it must make it all bad. That's flawed logic to the core.

Looks don't thrill me, performance does. I actually rather disliked the fact that 7 insisted on its taskbar taking up so much real estate on my screen. The visual effects can be duplicated if not improved upon by Compiz, which has been around for a few years now.

That depends on your screen resolution. The Windows 7 taskbar is less intrusive than the XP taskbar ever was, if only because I'm running a higher screen resolution than before - and remember that 7 is built for newer, higher resolution screens, and it would be irrational to think Microsoft isn't going to create software for the newer and more advanced technologies and trends.
My code: FDDwm5ad A+ C- D H+ P+ R++ T W- Z- Sm! a- cln d e f p-- sm-
Decode it.

#44 Adair

Adair

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3107 posts
  • Species:Albino Red Fox

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:17 AM

Drummer Boy, it's not worth my time to argue with you about it. Your arguments sound more like MS propaganda than valid points.
You made the same, if not worse, claims against Linux in the same fashion. You used it, you disliked it, you've been telling people it's garbage. Even further than my claims against 7.
I used 7, it killed my hard drive. I don't like it, but if it works for you than that's fine.
Now, I have a very new computer. For the last time, it's a high end Lenovo that isn't even a year old. The screen has a native resolution of 1280x800.
I don't know how you can look at a taskbar that's 20 pixels high and say it takes more room than a 100 pixel high task bar.

Now, please stop trying to argue with me. I'm getting tired of this. You can talk down to me about art (which I have minimal knowledge of) but I actually know something about computers and I find your attitude towards me to be quite insulting.
My hard drive is dead, I put the old hard drive back into my computer and had some fun with Lenovo's restore utility (not sarcastic). Found some cool features in that. It's running XP and I'm fine with that. I re-sold my copy of 7 and got my $30 back.

EDIT: Even better idea, thread closed. This is just going off into a flame war...

*I'm not trying to be mean sounding in my posts :<

Suggestion Box | Artist Application

XBL/PSN: DanTheFox98 | Skype/Steam: Danrulz98

Profile/refsheet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users