Photo

EDM university (Talking about electronic music)

Edmraves dubstep trap future bass hardcore/hardstyle melodic bass

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Koios

Koios

Meme expert

• Christians†
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Species:Red Fox

Posted 21 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

Hi, I’m Koios. Some of you may know me it many of you don’t. Anyways, for those who don’t I’m here to talk to you and educate you on some electronic music you may not have heard of! (And EDM in general) Firsts things first, I’m sure many of you already have heard of electronic music and maybe have listened to some. EDM (or Electronic Dance Music) in a nutshell is music that usually has repetitive beat and bass as well as synthesized backing tracks. It is a genre of music largely produced for music festivals, clubs and raves. EDM is generally used by DJs as they transition from one dance music track to another. Within electronic dance music is a plethora of sub-genres including House Music, Dubstep, Drum and Bass, Mashups, Moombahton, Electro, Glitch and many more.

Let’s go take a look at some of the sub genres of EDM.

The first one is House Music, probably one of the more well known subgenres. House music originated in the 1980’s in Chicago, Illinois. After having success in the mid 90’s, house music grew larger with the wave of Progressive House. It is known to be the most ‘human’ sounding music of all of the genres. It is also the most popular and most used in the Top 40 mixes, because of it’s catchy tunes. Famous House DJs are the legendary Daft Punk, Deadmau5 (also legendary), Steve Aoki (somewhat legendary but still the hardest working DJ in the world at the moment), and Tiesto who formerly focused more on Trance.

In fact, let’s take a look at Trance real quick. Trance is one of the most emotional genres because of its melodic tunes and it’s repetitive synths. Trance originated in the 1990’s and is usually characterized to be between 125 and 150 beats per minute. Armin van Buuren is a good Trance producer and is a personal fav of mine. There is also Above and Beyond, Infected Mushroom, RAM, and Airwave to name a few.

Now the moment you’ve all been waiting for...Dubstep! :D Actually it seems like Dubstep is kinda dead these days however that may not be the case anymore as none of the guys I’m around are like “Is that Dubstep? Play something else Dubstep is freaking dead.” anymore. But enough of that. What is Dubstep?
Dubstep originated in South London at around the year 1998. Dubstep is known to be “tightly coiled productions with overwhelming bass lines and reverberant drum patterns, occasional vocals, and clipped samples.” However in 2011, Skrillex and other artists such as Rusko and Datsik have gained the appeal to people in the US market by introducing a post-dubstep style known as brostep. Brostep is known to be “lurching and aggressive.” Notable artists include, Skrillex, Excision, Datsik, Flux Pavilion, Bassnectar and 12th Planet.

Onto Trap. Many have heard of Trap Music but don’t actually know what it is. Trap music is a sub-genre of ‘EDM” that has been gaining momentum throughout dance music fans. Trap music first emerged from the south and included a multitude of sounds including triplet hi hats, loud kicks, snares, triangle, brass and the popular low end 808 bass samples. “EDM Trap” or “Trap music” is a constantly evolving sound that incorporates the use of techno, dubstep and dutch house with the added Roland TR-808 drum samples. So Trap music is essentially 1/3 hip hop, 1/3 dance music and 1/3 dub. Some Trap artists include RL Grime, DJ snake, NGHTMRE,

Now onto Hardstyle, one of the lesser known subgenres and for a good reason to. Hardstyle Music is a sub-genre of EDM that usually consists of influences from hard techno and hardcore. Elements of hardstyle typically include a hard-sounding kick drum, reversed basslines, detuned sounds and a dissonant synth melody. Hardstyle is very popular in many European countries and is starting to see a rise in popularity in North America. Hardstyle music is typically characterized with a BPM of around 140-150.
Headhunterz, Showtek, Atmozfears, Radical Redemption and Angerfist make this kind of music.

Well that’s about all for now, I didn’t want to make this too long but I hope this was a bit helpful and maybe even a little bit interesting. I may make another one that’s better about more subgenres when I have more time but there are just too many to explain in one post. Plus there’s more to explain about the ones I already wrote about. Anyways, thanks for reading! And I hope you enjoyed it!
Just doing my job...

#2 foxbunny

foxbunny

Posting Freak

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2314 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:32 AM

And EDM is an offshoot of Minimalism.

#3 Koios

Koios

Meme expert