5 replies to this topic

#1 Blackstone

Blackstone

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Species:undecided

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

9Im gonna establish a few rules, or reiterate them. We are all adults, well most of us.
1. Be nice to each other, site rules anyway
2. Be honest
3. Keep it to the point, i know we have a few here that write books, myself included. But really just cut the fat and get to the point.

4. Im gonna post some verses and i would like you to give your view on it and WHY you believe it says what it says.

!!

Now im gonna be posting in this first post as i find them so keep checking back if your interested in this topic.

What will you be posting Blackstone? Glad you asked. I will be putting things here that are not easy things. Things that the church divides itself into different denominations over. Things that believers argue and fight over and separate from one another over. Things that the world will point out to us and say vile things because of.

We need to be ready, but not what this forms all about. Its about knowing what we believe.

~

Luke 14:26 (NIV)

26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.
(Responses below)
Different accounts of things.

-the passover
-mat 26
- mar 14
- luke 22
-crussifiction
-mat 27
-mar 15
-luke 23
- john 19

Most often the argument is, if this is the word of God then why are they different.

genesis 2:9 kjv

9 And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

1peter 2:6-8

“See, I lay a stone in Zion,
    a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him
    will never be put to shame.”[b]

7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,

“The stone the builders rejected
    has become the cornerstone,”[c]

8 and,

“A stone that causes people to stumble
    and a rock that makes them fall.”

And again in isaia 8:14-15

He will be a holy place;
    for both Israel and Judah he will be
a stone that causes people to stumble
    and a rock that makes them fall.
And for the people of Jerusalem he will be
    a trap and a snare.
15 Many of them will stumble;
    they will fall and be broken,
    they will be snared and captured.”

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Edited by Blackstone, 24 February 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#2 SuperKuddlor

SuperKuddlor

Comforter

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Species:Zemlian Foxcat
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:55 PM

Edit: Sorry that I exploded. Basically, the word "hate" means "love less". There's this mistranslation.

Edited by Zvoc47, 08 February 2016 - 08:17 PM.

#3 James SilverWolf

James SilverWolf

Researcher

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Species:SilverWolf
  • LocationRogue Valley, Oregon

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:57 AM

My understanding of that verse from Luke is that it is not a "literal" statement in the regular sense of the word, that is I understand it to mean that "hate" does not actually mean hatred (because hate is the opposite of Love, and God is a God of Love, as we know.) but it is rather a question of loyalty, priority, and behavior.  Someone cannot follow Christ properly if someone is also trying to follow their mom or dad etc. or show them favoritism over Christ & Others that would divide loyalty and create problems (and feed selfishness, perhaps?), this seems to be reinforced by the bit that reads "even their own life" because "the survival instinct" is selfish, and will tend to favor saving one's own flesh over being helpful to others.  Someone else said this much better than I, though.

• Blackstone and Joshua Reynard like this

Ephesians 5:11
Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of evil, but rather, Expose them.

#4 NarnianKnight

NarnianKnight

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:38 PM

My understanding of that verse from Luke is that it is not a "literal" statement in the regular sense of the word, that is I understand it to mean that "hate" does not actually mean hatred (because hate is the opposite of Love, and God is a God of Love, as we know.) but it is rather a question of loyalty, priority, and behavior. Someone cannot follow Christ properly if someone is also trying to follow their mom or dad etc. or show them favoritism over Christ & Others that would divide loyalty and create problems (and feed selfishness, perhaps?), this seems to be reinforced by the bit that reads "even their own life" because "the survival instinct" is selfish, and will tend to favor saving one's own flesh over being helpful to others. Someone else said this much better than I, though.

I have heard preachers saying about Jacob and Esau, the word hate meant to love less. Ones that studied the language of scripture as well.

#5 Blackstone

Blackstone

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Species:undecided

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

Updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 Blackstone

Blackstone

• Christians†