#1 Blackstone

Blackstone

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Species:undecided

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

Mat 6:16
16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

James 5:13- 16

13 Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

I start with these verses to kinda show some of my train of thought as i discover more and more connections throughout the bible. I figured id start with fasting , its come up before, and had a lil speech planned out, but in the middle of that i was reminded of this verse in james.

For i know many here are hurting, for they have told me. So my prayer goes out you, my brothers and sisters in Christ. I confess i havent been as diligent as i should but in this time i have dedicated to the Lord i lift you up along with my pastors and rabbis and those who toil endlessly to show people the way to G-d.

And i ask you pray for me as well as i strive to become more sensitive to what Christ has called me to be.

Which brings us back to Mathew. That Jesus sais a few times "when you fast". Not if , not when its convenient for us, but when. Some i know wonder about fasting as well as their own eternal soul, as for me this day i have found great joy in it and can only express this joy to you all.

Its not easy thing, but it is a changing thing. Not to be done just to get something from G-d but to not let our bodys or even our needs control us. For G-d already knows what we need before we even ask(mat 6:8). Fasting is showing obedience and praying and relying on Christ when things get uncomfortable or hard.

May this make sense and i pray for whats of my words to fall away and whats of G-d may it stick and ring truly aman.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

#2 SuperKuddlor

SuperKuddlor

Comforter

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1268 posts
  • Species:Zemlian Foxcat
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:53 PM

Buddy. When I'm hurt and collapsing and only have my fandom left or my projects or whatever, giving that to God in a way of fasting and remaining empty is...... I just break apart even more. Can you help me?

#3 Blackstone

Blackstone

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:36 AM

Well maybe your fasting from the wrong things or from the wrong reasons.now fasts biblically where from food from what iv read but you can fast from all kinds of things.

#4 Joshua Reynard

Joshua Reynard

Friendly Fox

• Christians†
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Species:Red Fox
  • LocationNortheastern United States

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:44 AM

Well maybe your fasting from the wrong things or from the wrong reasons.now fasts biblically where from food from what iv read but you can fast from all kinds of things.

You can indeed fast from all kinds of things. I've fasted from the furry fandom a few times because I had doubts about whether it was something that I as a Christian should be involved in, and I wanted to re-evaluate its place in my life and re-focus on God. God used these times to deepen my understanding of Him, re-orient my focus back to Him, and helped me understand how I should relate to the fandom as a Christian.

My advice would be to pray before fasting - pray that God would make it clear to you why you're doing it, whether it's for the right reasons, and what things you should and shouldn't be fasting from. And pray during the fast, that God would give you strength to continue and use the fast to re-focus your perspective on Him. And when it comes time to break the fast, pray before doing so, that your perspective could continue to be on Him even when you're not fasting.

#5 Hybrilynx

Hybrilynx

Posting Freak

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Species:Dragon Lynx, maybe idk
  • LocationPensacola Florida

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

I was thinking about fasting to loose weight. After all, I'm nearly broke all the time. I had about $10 left over from my last-last check I think, and the last one was $4 left over. If I didn't work at a restaurant, I wouldn't have a choice but to fast anyway. That or ask family for food, but I rather not. I rather loose weight anyway.

I kind of feel like I'm understanding fasting wrong now that I think about it.

1.png

#6 Blackstone

Blackstone

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

I was thinking about fasting to loose weight. After all, I'm nearly broke all the time. I had about $10 left over from my last-last check I think, and the last one was $4 left over. If I didn't work at a restaurant, I wouldn't have a choice but to fast anyway. That or ask family for food, but I rather not. I rather loose weight anyway.

I kind of feel like I'm understanding fasting wrong now that I think about it.

And thats what we are hear for. *points to previous post*

#7 James SilverWolf

James SilverWolf

Researcher

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Species:SilverWolf
  • LocationRogue Valley, Oregon

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:43 AM

I never understood fasting nor why it would be of spiritual benefit since it is a physical lack of eating, and since I don't understand it, I do not do it. (although I do forget to eat plenty of times, haha).  I can see how works and such can relate to having effect in the spiritual world, but I cannot see how a person purposefully not eating has any effect, save for trying to tame flesh, of course (I suspect this may be the reason for it, but it is only a suspicion).

I suppose some could consider fasting a form of sacrifice, but then Christ was the end of sacrifices, so that probably isn't applicable. Also, since its kinda sounding implied, I don't know of anywhere where it says "you must fast" it seems to be left wholly optional as a practice... (you'll note it also says "when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face." does this mean that one *must* put oil on their head and wash their face every time they fast, or does it mean "do what you usually do when doing something in service of God" and with the context about the hypocrites, "don't bother trying to get brownie points with mankind"?) the "when" operator in this case doesn't come off as a subtle command or a mandate, but rather saying "when you do" (IE "When you swim" is not a mandate or command to swim, but we know what follows the statement is something to be observed/considered, if someone does choose to swim.) if it was meant to be a command or mandate, I would think it would be more directly put, as commands often seem to be direct and unambiguous.

Ephesians 5:11
Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of evil, but rather, Expose them.

#8 Joshua Reynard

Joshua Reynard

Friendly Fox

• Christians†
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Species:Red Fox
  • LocationNortheastern United States

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:45 AM

I never understood fasting nor why it would be of spiritual benefit since it is a physical lack of eating, and since I don't understand it, I do not do it. (although I do forget to eat plenty of times, haha).  I can see how works and such can relate to having effect in the spiritual world, but I cannot see how a person purposefully not eating has any effect, save for trying to tame flesh, of course (I suspect this may be the reason for it, but it is only a suspicion).

Like I said before, there are other kinds of fasting besides just fasting from food. (For the record, I've never fasted from food before, largely because I don't eat very much to begin with and don't know if my body could handle being without any food at all for an extended period of time.) One common type of fast these days is fasting from certain media (Facebook, TV, video games, just to name some examples). I know a guy who fasted from video games for the good part of a semester - that was hard for him to do, but as far as I can tell it helped him to put God ahead of gaming. The way I see it, if something (for some, it is food, but for others, it could be any number of things) is taking your focus away from God, then fasting from it can help you to re-focus on Him.

I suppose some could consider fasting a form of sacrifice, but then Christ was the end of sacrifices, so that probably isn't applicable. Also, since its kinda sounding implied, I don't know of anywhere where it says "you must fast" it seems to be left wholly optional as a practice... (you'll note it also says "when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face." does this mean that one *must* put oil on their head and wash their face every time they fast, or does it mean "do what you usually do when doing something in service of God" and with the context about the hypocrites, "don't bother trying to get brownie points with mankind"?) the "when" operator in this case doesn't come off as a subtle command or a mandate, but rather saying "when you do" (IE "When you swim" is not a mandate or command to swim, but we know what follows the statement is something to be observed/considered, if someone does choose to swim.) if it was meant to be a command or mandate, I would think it would be more directly put, as commands often seem to be direct and unambiguous.

As far as I'm aware, we aren't specifically commanded to fast. (But I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong about that, of course.) I think the specific passage you're referencing (Matthew 6:16-18) is saying not to do it to show the world how "pious" you are, as the Pharisees probably did. That is definitely not a good motive for fasting.

• James SilverWolf likes this

#9 James SilverWolf

James SilverWolf

Researcher

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Species:SilverWolf
  • LocationRogue Valley, Oregon

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:31 AM

Like I said before, there are other kinds of fasting besides just fasting from food. (For the record, I've never fasted from food before, largely because I don't eat very much to begin with and don't know if my body could handle being without any food at all for an extended period of time.) One common type of fast these days is fasting from certain media (Facebook, TV, video games, just to name some examples). I know a guy who fasted from video games for the good part of a semester - that was hard for him to do, but as far as I can tell it helped him to put God ahead of gaming. The way I see it, if something (for some, it is food, but for others, it could be any number of things) is taking your focus away from God, then fasting from it can help you to re-focus on Him.

As far as I'm aware, we aren't specifically commanded to fast. (But I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong about that, of course.) I think the specific passage you're referencing (Matthew 6:16-18) is saying not to do it to show the world how "pious" you are, as the Pharisees probably did. That is definitely not a good motive for fasting.

Yeah see this first bit is something that I had understood as taking a break from something, or a sort of "sabbath" haha. So it is unusual for me to hear it being called a "fast" (given my understanding of a fast has always been of a food-specific thing).

Indeed, trying to win "pious points" with mankind is not a good reason to do anything, much less fasting.

Ephesians 5:11
Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of evil, but rather, Expose them.

#10 Blackstone

Blackstone

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:47 AM

Also there are diffrent kinds of foods fast.

1. The sunrise fast , fasting while the suns up
2. Fasting a feal a day.
3.all liquids fasts
4. All water fasts and varying degrees

Ad far as a why, to become more sensitive to Christs voice. That when we hunger or feel the pains we stop and pray and turn toward Christ. Kinda like if the tummy rumbles we thank Him instead.
Its kinda a way to refocus out of place hearts. I got a sermon on it if you want a link but youll have to get it via pm

#11 NarnianKnight

NarnianKnight

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:28 PM

I fasted from furries, Anime, and any cartoons with furries once. I was supposed to do so out of obedience. When God had told me in my heart it was no longer acceptable for me to fast from the fandom I didn't listen, It was because he wanted me here. Of course, he didn't want me involved in sexualizing the fandom, that wasn't in my heart after the fast was over, but ultimately I know now that he wanted me here, he would've had me here sooner had I chosen to do so. God has appointed times for fasts, and If I had listened to him earlier, I would've been here among fellow Christians, some of whom have had similar problems, and I could've discussed and confessed what I have done and asked for prayer to keep me from returning to my sins. God appoints times for fasting, prayer, and for feasts, and for celebrations. We are to listen, study, and understand to when those times are. I know that when God told me to fast from the fandom completely, it seemed instinctual at times, but I also feel God was with me in some way I can't explain. Fasting has to be done when you have the need to fast. When God says it's acceptable, and how God says it's acceptable. God says to keep your appearance clean, and not to advertise that you are fasting. (Asking for support is a almost different) and while fasting, God asks you pray, and also may be good for you to talk about God's word with others, study every night, too.

#12 NarnianKnight

NarnianKnight

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:35 PM

I never understood fasting nor why it would be of spiritual benefit since it is a physical lack of eating, and since I don't understand it, I do not do it. (although I do forget to eat plenty of times, haha). I can see how works and such can relate to having effect in the spiritual world, but I cannot see how a person purposefully not eating has any effect, save for trying to tame flesh, of course (I suspect this may be the reason for it, but it is only a suspicion).

Oil on head and washing face was good hygiene back then tbh.. I use natural oils instead of chemical shampoo anyways, so I know that from experience. It's still good to know historical context of verses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users