Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
Spirit Bear

Why is This Subforum Dead??

Prayer is a very important part of spiritual growth. Why is this subforum, all on prayer, dead? What could that say about us, our prayer lives, our Spirits? 

-------------

Here is a piece on prayer that I wrote for Furs For Christ:

As a Christian, I've prayed for years. And over the years, I've begun to realise certain things. 
And from others, I've learned even more.

I was shocked when I had been in Sunday School one day and the pastor asked, "Do you all pray at least once a week?" to which the answer, for many, was "No." I pray every morning and night my "proper prayer" as well as many throughout the day.

But later I began to think back to what I had learned in my life. What is a "proper" way to pray?

Do we have to have "standard" prayers that are the same every time we pray, or go through a cycle? 
No, for that lets the Spirit die. The Spirit dies because it falls into a cycle or falls into just a repetition. The Spirit will perish because there is no aliveness in the prayer. The meaningfulness is lost. It becomes nothing but words that we don't even have to think about.

Do we have to pray in a specific way? 
No, for the intent and intensity of the prayer is what counts. It does not matter if we're on our hands and knees, facing a Cross or another man-made symbol relating to God. It does not matter if you clasp your hands or put them together. Your eyes do not have to be closed, nor do you have to say it aloud or in silence. You do not have to do it in a dark place, under a shroud, or even in private-- those are preferences, or things taught to us. 

Do we have to pray regularly, often?
I'd say "yes." Why? Well, prayer is a form of worship. For me, prayer gives me rest that sleep never does. Prayer for other people revitalizes them, gives them energy or life or happiness. Praying regularly keeps your Spiritual flame burning. If the flame goes out, Jesus will spit you out. Most Christians are "luke-warm." Jesus loves us all, understands the cold, and admires the hot-- but what of us who have a decaying Spiritual life? He will spit us out. I'm in danger of that regularly. 
Not only does prayer keep you connected to God, but it is a way to tell God your fears, your desires. Any relationship you get into needs you to talk to your partner-- if we are the bride of Christ, how can we expect a fulfilling, successful life with Him if we never speak to Him? Or if we rarely speak to Him? Why should He speak to us if we don't speak to Him?

Does the amount of time we devote to praying really matter?
My belief is that it is your intensity, your willingness, your intent and meaningfulness that matter. The most Spiritually alive people I know pray for, in some cases, hours every day. In my hay-day of a Spiritual fire, before I began to slip away yet again, I'd give an hour on my knees to God every day-- one half in the morning, one half in the night, and much "non-proper" prayer through the day. Even now do I not give as much as I feel called to give, but in our modern culture we think we have better things to do-- but what is better than to invest ourselves in the One who has fully invested Himself in us? 

And so, what do I say about praying? 
I say just let it all flood out-- this is God you're speaking to! And what is God? God is our father, our friend. He wants you to talk to Him. So speak-- speak whatever you want, whenever you want, but do it regularly to keep yourself close. He loves you! He'll gladly listen, regardless of how petty you think an issue or thought or feeling is-- if it is on your mind or heart or soul, it is important. 
So talk to Him. Ask Him. Praise Him-- oh, please praise Him. If you're reading this, praise Him. If you're happy, praise Him. If you hurt, praise Him. Whatever goes right or wrong, praise Him-- it's all an investment in you, one He wishes to see thrive because of what He promises you in Jeremiah 29:11: The hope, prosperity, future!
Pray-- pray regularly. Pray with intensity-- a passion full of love, full of emotion, full of life. Do not let your Spirit wither and die, for it will without something to keep it active. Your Spiritual life, like all life, must grow and develop-- and prayer will see that happen if you hold onto Him and pour it all out. And oh how God will smile. His heart beats for you. He just wants to be with you, so pray however you feel you must-- just don't let it become a "standard" prayer you can recite easily. All good things thrive with work. 

Now go and pray that your Spirit may thrive and not just survive; for without a good health, when the tests of fire come, will it survive?

Edited by Spirit Bear

I usually pray (real prayers, not ritualistic standard ones) once or twice a day, sometimes more. However, I've never thought to put prayers here. Sometimes it's stuff I like to keep between me, God, and anyone I'm praying for.

I do think we should encourage people to share prayers here though.

I usually pray (real prayers, not ritualistic standard ones) once or twice a day, sometimes more. However, I've never thought to put prayers here. Sometimes it's stuff I like to keep between me, God, and anyone I'm praying for.

I do think we should encourage people to share prayers here though.

It's great that you pray deep prayers, but you don't need to post the intimate stuff here. You can share what you want, but I think everyone needs more prayer. Pray for the World, for others, for you. 

Pray for my mom, whose depression I'm trying to help battle but cannot with my own. She also cannot taste or smell, works long hours, currently has scabies and mounting debt once more from her surgery this year as well as things going wrong. Yet she keeps a non-defeatist attitude and smiles. 

I don't know why this sub-forum isn't really posted in but I usually keep my prayers to myself and there is one reason being. I strongly believe that God tells us too. Here is my reasoning.

Matthew 6:6-8 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 and when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do no be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Edited by Groot Liska

People pray in groups, too. We share prayer requests-- supposedly for getting more prayers for people/things. My pastor once said some Christians gossip by saying, "Let's pray for __ __, because __ __ __ __." 

Other prayers are meant to be national/community. 

Good ideas. My car would die if I tried doing that to it. LOL.

My mom's writings sit in a box downstairs. Her ex husband took most when he found out about them and destroyed them.

My own I've not touched in over a year. I used to be a writer of historical fiction, werewolf, and a combination of both. One piece got published. Then depression hit. So now I can only manage memoirs and very short Christian-themed pieces. 

But I myself have been volunteering at various places for about 12 years. The place I'm currently at I've been at for 10 years.

Matthew 6:9-13New International Version (NIV)

9 “This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

10 your kingdom come,

your will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven.

11 Give us today our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts,

as we also have forgiven our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]

but deliver us from the evil one.’

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

James 5:16

Matthew 6:9-13New International Version (NIV)

9 “This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

10 your kingdom come,

your will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven.

11 Give us today our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts,

as we also have forgiven our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]

but deliver us from the evil one.’

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

James 5:16

I see a standard prayer in there. One we say every Sunday at Church and before meals. One easy to recite and say with no emotion.

I see it as more of a creed than anything else. 

And, yes, I wrote in about praising God. It' very important.

Confessing sins to one another is difficult, especially when people will look down on you. Or ban you from the forum for what you were because they think you still are. ;)

Good ideas. My car would die if I tried doing that to it. LOL.

My mom's writings sit in a box downstairs. Her ex husband took most when he found out about them and destroyed them.

My own I've not touched in over a year. I used to be a writer of historical fiction, werewolf, and a combination of both. One piece got published. Then depression hit. So now I can only manage memoirs and very short Christian-themed pieces. 

But I myself have been volunteering at various places for about 12 years. The place I'm currently at I've been at for 10 years.

Heh, well, back in 1956 when my Grandpa first bought the car, it couldn't even move under it's own power much less do wheelies. but a little money on the side, a few years of hard work, and it's given him a hobby for nearly 60 years! (also, the car was appropriately named "Budget Buster" after an engine failure ;3 it's gone through 5 engines and more drag racing configurations than you can count.)

hopefully, these writings will be put to use and sent out to reveal God's glory to the world!

It's a gorgeous car with an interesting name.

I'm afraid that, although I try, nothing I say will last in people's minds. And because my writings aren't like what they were, they don't start off popular-- most people typically stick away from reading more "religious rant." I do rant, but I make it into something more than just a flood of emotion. Usually I do something like the prayer piece. Other times it's a memoir with an underlying Christian theme. Plenty has gone up on here. 

I see a standard prayer in there. One we say every Sunday at Church and before meals. One easy to recite and say with no emotion.

I see it as more of a creed than anything else.

And, yes, I wrote in about praising God. It' very important.

Confessing sins to one another is difficult, especially when people will look down on you. Or ban you from the forum for what you were because they think you still are. ;)

Just adding verses. There are 3 there haha. To what you said. I like having the bible backing what is said. Its a weird tick of mine

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Well, Christians are supposed to believe the only source of truth they can get their paws on: the Bible. 

Everything else cannot be taken as truth very easily. And interpretations themselves can completely change a meaning-- So does taking a verse or passage out of context from a greater whole.

Last night, when looking for a good Bible verse to put as the "Daily Bible Reading," I almost went with Jeremiah 29:11, but I realised that that was in the context of the whole of exiled Israel, and not for me and you. So I avoided that one and lost a favorited verse. It happens. :/