Photo

Nintendo Direct 11.12.15.2pm.PT (Pokemon Yellow rereleased)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 NarnianKnight

NarnianKnight

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

No they're all emulated besides GBA games on the 3DS. That's why you can extract roms for them. Especially with Gameboy Games. They use to have an exploit that let you swap the rom used using the web browser.

There's nothing for them to fix. The way GBA games work is the same as how DS games work on the 3DS. From what I know about it you can't access the home menu while playing GBA games on the 3DS just like when playing DS games. I suggest actually researching this stuff before making claims.

I specifically meant Wii Virtual console, but whatever... anyways, it runs almost the same as a GBA game on the DS system, they have reasons for this, part of it has to do with the fact that most of the GBA games that were released on the 3DS VC were originally meant to be run on 3D, and do run in 3D if you had the Nintendo Ambassador's program, still, yet another reason is to prevent the game from saving improperly, as with the N64 VC on the Wii, (which, some games still glich improperly when you press home while saving) anyways, I should do more research, but there's still games like Four Swords that use wireless and are Gameboy Advanced games, and they technically aren't emulated either.  Nintendo can change the rules for their Virtual console at any time they decide they have the resources to do so.

They technically changed the rules for Pokemon Yellow, Red, and Blue, and I'm sure they won't be including restore points for these games.

Edited by NarnianKnight, 19 November 2015 - 10:15 PM.

#22 Norzman5

Norzman5

Gamer

• Administrators
  • 580 posts
  • Species:Eastern Dragon
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

I specifically meant Wii Virtual console, but whatever... anyways, it runs almost the same as a GBA game on the DS system, they have reasons for this, part of it has to do with the fact that most of the GBA games that were released on the 3DS VC were originally meant to be run on 3D, and do run in 3D if you had the Nintendo Ambassador's program, still, yet another reason is to prevent the game from saving improperly, as with the N64 VC on the Wii, (which, some games still glich improperly when you press home while saving) anyways, I should do more research, but there's still games like Four Swords that use wireless and are Gameboy Advanced games, and they technically aren't emulated either.  Nintendo can change the rules for their Virtual console at any time they decide they have the resources to do so.

They technically changed the rules for Pokemon Yellow, Red, and Blue, and I'm sure they won't be including restore points for these games.

Virtual console works the same on the 3DS, Wii and WiiU. It doesn't matter what system. None of the 3DS GBA games from the Ambassador program run in 3D. I don't understand where you're getting these facts from. The only games that run in 3D on the 3DS are 3DS specific games. nothing virtual console will run in 3D.

Four Swords Anniversary Edition on the DSi was an enhanced port of the original game for the DSi and not the 3DS. The 3DS is able to play it because it is a DSiWare game. They also added new levels and wireless multiplayer. It is the only game like this and is not a virtual console game. Especially since the DSi did not have virtual console. Literally the reason that GBA games aren't emulated is because they run on the firmware's DS mode instead of coding a new emulator for them. This is why the games do not pause or support sleep mode while the 3DS is shut.

Pokemon will most definitely have save points as it will run in the standard Virtual Console Gameboy emulator. If it were a port they would not be labeled as Virtual Console. The name Virtual Console refers to the fact that the games are emulated. They're not changing anything about the games. The only thing they've done is enable their emulator to emulated a link cable through the 3DS wireless signal. They haven't touched the rom files in any way just like the rest of the virtual console games.

Trust me I know these things very thoroughly.

I suggest you read these

http://nintendo.wiki...assador_Program
https://en.wikipedia...Virtual_Console

Posted Image

#23 NarnianKnight

NarnianKnight

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:37 PM

Virtual console works the same on the 3DS, Wii and WiiU. It doesn't matter what system. None of the 3DS GBA games from the Ambassador program run in 3D. I don't understand where you're getting these facts from. The only games that run in 3D on the 3DS are 3DS specific games. nothing virtual console will run in 3D.

Four Swords Anniversary Edition on the DSi was an enhanced port of the original game for the DSi and not the 3DS. The 3DS is able to play it because it is a DSiWare game. They also added new levels and wireless multiplayer. It is the only game like this and is not a virtual console game. Especially since the DSi did not have virtual console. Literally the reason that GBA games aren't emulated is because they run on the firmware's DS mode instead of coding a new emulator for them. This is why the games do not pause or support sleep mode while the 3DS is shut.

Pokemon will most definitely have save points as it will run in the standard Virtual Console Gameboy emulator. If it were a port they would not be labeled as Virtual Console. The name Virtual Console refers to the fact that the games are emulated. They're not changing anything about the games. The only thing they've done is enable their emulator to emulated a link cable through the 3DS wireless signal. They haven't touched the rom files in any way just like the rest of the virtual console games.

Trust me I know these things very thoroughly.

I suggest you read these

http://nintendo.wiki...assador_Program
https://en.wikipedia...Virtual_Console

Four Swords Adventures is not downloadable on DSi anymore, and they're likely replacing the restore points with link cable features on the "restore point" menu, they also do not have restore points on N64 or Wii Virtual console, so I don't see why you'd be surprized that they'd remove the feature from Red/Blue/Yellow to prevent cheating by duplicating their Pokemon

Edited by NarnianKnight, 20 November 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#24 Tommy Walker

Tommy Walker

Advanced Member

• Christians†
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Species:Undecided
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

Four Swords Adventures is not downloadable on DSi anymore, and they're likely replacing the restore points with link cable features on the home menu, they also do not have restore points on N64 or Wii Virtual console, so I don't see why you'd be surprized that they'd remove the feature from Red/Blue/Yellow to prevent cheating by duplicating their Pokemon

Four Swords! I still have that game downloaded on my 3ds. Totally forgot it lol.

#25 NarnianKnight

NarnianKnight

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:00 PM

Four Swords! I still have that game downloaded on my 3ds. Totally forgot it lol.

my brother has it downloaded to his DSi, I'm going to try to get his system upgraded to New Nintendo 3DS XL

#26 Norzman5

Norzman5

Gamer

• Administrators
  • 580 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:34 PM

Four Swords Adventures is not downloadable on DSi anymore, and they're likely replacing the restore points with link cable features on the "restore point" menu, they also do not have restore points on N64 or Wii Virtual console, so I don't see why you'd be surprized that they'd remove the feature from Red/Blue/Yellow to prevent cheating by duplicating their Pokemon

Four Swords Adventures was a Gamecube game completely different to the DSi we are refering to and I know it 's not on the store anymore because it was a limited time release.

Because no virtual console games on the Wii have restore points and all 3DS virtual console games do. They didn't introduce restore points for virtual console titles till the 3DS came out and they don't care about people cheating on generation 1 games and they're not going to change the emulator just to prevent that. You fail to understand how their emulator they use for virtual console works. Each virtual console title that you download is an emulator with a rom file inside. It's essentially a wrapper for a rom. Assuming they would remove the restore point feature present in all other gameboy virtual console titles is nonsense.

There most likely wont be a link cable option in the virtual console menu for the pokemon games. What they're going to do is use the 3DS's native player search function and connecting to the link cable center will make some sort of menu pop up to select a local player.

I'd be surprised they would remove it because that's more effort then just putting the rom onto the emulator and putting on the store like they could have anytime they wanted to.

Posted Image

#27 NarnianKnight

NarnianKnight

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

Four Swords Adventures was a Gamecube game completely different to the DSi we are refering to and I know it 's not on the store anymore because it was a limited time release.

Because no virtual console games on the Wii have restore points and all 3DS virtual console games do. They didn't introduce restore points for virtual console titles till the 3DS came out.

um... I've played Super Mario World on the Wii VC as well as Sonic the hedgehog 2, they BOTH allow you to continue the game where you left off last even after shutting down the power and playing another game.

N64 VIRTUAL CONSOLE ON Wii U STILL DOESN'T HAVE RESTORE POINTS, (they replaced it with a custom controls menu) neither does Wii or DS Virtual Console on Wii U, and by that, I mean Wii and DS games downloadable from the Wii U Nintendo eShop

In fact some of the N64 games will show the Nintendo 64 logo when pused via the home menu, as they reload the game right where you last paused it and keep you from getting a corrupted savefile

Edited by NarnianKnight, 21 November 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#28 Norzman5

Norzman5

Gamer

• Administrators
  • 580 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:47 PM

um... I've played Super Mario World on the Wii VC as well as Sonic the hedgehog 2, they BOTH allow you to continue the game where you left off last even after shutting down the power and playing another game.

N64 VIRTUAL CONSOLE ON Wii U STILL DOESN'T HAVE RESTORE POINTS, (they replaced it with a custom controls menu) neither does Wii or DS Virtual Console on Wii U, and by that, I mean Wii and DS games downloadable from the Wii U Nintendo eShop

In fact some of the N64 games will show the Nintendo 64 logo when pused via the home menu, as they reload the game right where you last paused it and keep you from getting a corrupted savefile

That really isn't the same as having a restore point. A restore point/quick save implies that it can be manually invoked and reloaded at any time. It also has nothing to do with corrupting the save file as the save files are stored separate then what's saved in the pause menu. What restore points and quick saves do is copy the data that's loaded into the ram and save it to a file. When loaded it reloads the ram exactly as it was. In some consoles being emulated this could cause and issue for some games which. N64 is something that's always had a hard time being emulated so it makes somewhat sense that they would exclude certain features that other emulated console have. Even emulators on PC for N64 had really slow development and were pretty garbage up until a year or so ago.

We can go on and on but the simple fact is that they are all being emulated and are not ports. If you would take the time to look into it you would know this. Also believing that they would remove that function from the 3DS just for the Pokemon games is ridiculous and is a different scenario then N64 emulators not having the same function. Something else you have to recognize is that they use a different emulator for each console that they're emulating. If there were already Gameboy games on virtual console on the 3D that lacked this function then you would have a base for an argument about the possibility of it being removed for those games specifically.

We got really off track from the point I was trying to make.

Posted Image

#29 NarnianKnight

NarnianKnight

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

That really isn't the same as having a restore point. A restore point/quick save implies that it can be manually invoked and reloaded at any time. It also has nothing to do with corrupting the save file as the save files are stored separate then what's saved in the pause menu. What restore points and quick saves do is copy the data that's loaded into the ram and save it to a file. When loaded it reloads the ram exactly as it was. In some consoles being emulated this could cause and issue for some games which. N64 is something that's always had a hard time being emulated so it makes somewhat sense that they would exclude certain features that other emulated console have. Even emulators on PC for N64 had really slow development and were pretty garbage up until a year or so ago.

We can go on and on but the simple fact is that they are all being emulated and are not ports. If you would take the time to look into it you would know this. Also believing that they would remove that function from the 3DS just for the Pokemon games is ridiculous and is a different scenario then N64 emulators not having the same function. Something else you have to recognize is that they use a different emulator for each console that they're emulating. If there were already Gameboy games on virtual console on the 3D that lacked this function then you would have a base for an argument about the possibility of it being removed for those games specifically.

We got really off track from the point I was trying to make.

so, I can copy an infinite amount of Mewtwo with my friend, sweet!!!!

Edited by NarnianKnight, 24 November 2015 - 07:40 PM.

#30 Tommy Walker

Tommy Walker

Advanced Member

• Christians†
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:55 AM

so, I can copy an infinite amount of Mewtwo with my friend, sweet!!!!

Wow. I never thought about that until now. Now I kinda wonder if they'll put restore points in at all with a loophole like that. Wouldn't bother me, personally though.

On a side note you just reminded me of an awesome glitch in Pokémon Red and Blue (not sure about Yellow) where you can get a Mew (yes, #151 Mew) on the routes to Bill's house early on in the game. There are a couple other methods at other points but I'll just let you see for yourselves: http://strategywiki....Blue/Mew_glitch

You might know it already but meh, I felt like sharing it anyway.

#31 NarnianKnight

NarnianKnight

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:22 PM

Wow. I never thought about that until now. Now I kinda wonder if they'll put restore points in at all with a loophole like that. Wouldn't bother me, personally though.

On a side note you just reminded me of an awesome glitch in Pokémon Red and Blue (not sure about Yellow) where you can get a Mew (yes, #151 Mew) on the routes to Bill's house early on in the game. There are a couple other methods at other points but I'll just let you see for yourselves: http://strategywiki....Blue/Mew_glitch

You might know it already but meh, I felt like sharing it anyway.

I tried, the glitch is not in yellow, but I'm sure nintendo is either keeping the glitch, or doing Mew distributions at gamestop

#32 Tommy Walker

Tommy Walker

Advanced Member

• Christians†
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:34 PM

I tried, the glitch is not in yellow, but I'm sure nintendo is either keeping the glitch, or doing Mew distributions at gamestop

It's a cool little exploit. I do hope they keep it.

#33 Norzman5

Norzman5

Gamer

• Administrators
  • 580 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

I highly doubt they'll do any distributions of rare Pokemon for the rerelease. They probably will keep the game as is and not patch any glitches.

Posted Image

#34 NarnianKnight

NarnianKnight

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:36 PM

I highly doubt they'll do any distributions of rare Pokemon for the rerelease. They probably will keep the game as is and not patch any glitches.

they will probably add a failsafe that prevents the system from crashing though

#35 Norzman5

Norzman5

Gamer

• Administrators
  • 580 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:41 PM

they will probably add a failsafe that prevents the system from crashing though

if a virtual console game crashes it wont crash the 3DS itself. It will probably have an error message then restart the game

Posted Image

#36 NarnianKnight

NarnianKnight

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:43 PM

if a virtual console game crashes it wont crash the 3DS itself. It will probably have an error message then restart the game

G/SC had error messages, R/B/Y did not, they will probably allow you to reset via restore point or restart the game even if the game crashes.  If not, you could always redownload the game.

#37 Norzman5

Norzman5

Gamer

• Administrators
  • 580 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

G/SC had error messages, R/B/Y did not, they will probably allow you to reset via restore point or restart the game even if the game crashes.  If not, you could always redownload the game.

it has nothing to do with the games themselves giving the error message. It would be the emulator on the 3DS that gives any error messages about crashing

Posted Image

#38 NarnianKnight

NarnianKnight

• Christians†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

it has nothing to do with the games themselves giving the error message. It would be the emulator on the 3DS that gives any error messages about crashing

they would need a system update for that, since they usually remove potentially fatal glitches that have nothing to do with actual gameplay, along with a few translation error edits in Super Mario 64, and Jynx's Sprite in Pokemon Snap.  The DragonWarrior games in the NES VC actually use the Gameboy color translation.

Edited by NarnianKnight, 01 December 2015 - 06:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users