Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
MotherNaturesSon

A bit of blacksmithing

So I see some other members on here posting up their artwork, and thought I'd give it a go.

I don't draw, I blacksmith.

Finally got my forge finished, and having a blast!

A rose I made for my wife :

steel_flower_by_pawsoutfitters-d790a6u.j

My latest knife:

knife_by_pawsoutfitters-d79p3v6.jpg

Much more of my work is here on DeviantArt.

http://pawsoutfitters.deviantart.com/#

Just thought I'd share a bit.

Edited by MotherNaturesSon

Dude, now that's a hobby I can get into... sadly I don't have a forge. Got any pointers for someone wanting to start out on this? (Thankfully a bookstore owner several years back gave me two thick volumes on Metallurgy, for free no less, a fine and charitable man he was.)

Also good job on the items, takes a lot of hard work to turn out such things. ^.^

Thanks for the kind words.

I started out with a heavy metal bar for an anvil, a propane torch, a hammer and a set of vice grips.   :(

Just start doing it.  The fancy stuff comes later.

You're welcome sir, so few people doing this anymore (most are reliant on brainless machines to do it), yet it is such a vital field for the modern world, and so useful, a really good forge can turn out parts for vehicles and buildings, and that would be sad to see it go the way of the dodo. I appreciate that you've taken up such a great (and ancient) art for a hobby, and hey if I learn anything cool I'd be happy to share the info.

Edited by James SilverWolf

This is an art in a sense, but not a visual art in the sense meant by the forum categorization. This is a physical craft and the thread would probably be better suited to the fursuits and crafts board.

All that being said, I am very fond of old-timey pre-gunpowder martial technologies. Knives, axes, swords, shields, and clubs are some of my favorite things. Have you made any pieces of armor before?

I was going to start blacksmithing but i set up a small forge on the edge of a beach and when i came back the next day some teens or children had come through and utterly destroyed the small forge and scattered all my metal that i had collected across the beach (and no the waves didn't get it, it was too high up the beach)

good job on the rose, however, i am a knife person myself ;)