Christian Furs - Christian Furry Community
Sign in to follow this  
Falux

The Appeal of Spartans to Furries

Please get down from your raging horse of anti-Furry war, I have a genuine curiosity about this question. Maybe it's already been said but I'm kinda new to the community.

Before I got into the Halo fandom I had this vague feeling that Spartans were the "furries" of the SciFi action genre, because we don't see their faces and their special genetics sets them apart from normal humans. Also their popularity is not to be questioned and they are widely accepted as believable characters, represented in various medias, the RvB show... And the reason why there isn't as much Spartan fan art as there is of Furry art is because the power suits are difficult to paint.

What I'm getting at here is that while some people enjoy humanizing anthropomorphic animals, others subconsciously re-humanize faceless "super humans"... Maybe that's how people make the bridge between two seemingly different worlds.

I'm more familiar with the Star Wars franchise where there is a lot of masked soldiers that appeal to a lot of people, but I've never encountered Furries in a Star Wars online community. Generally speaking, every Star Wars fan is exclusively a Star Wars fan, NOT a Halo-StarWars fan, NOT a StarGate-Wars fan... [Except in cross-over fanfictions which are set apart from the social communities] So I might be biased by this unilateral way of thinking.

How can Spartans be so easily associated with Furries?

Is it that the Furry phenomenon is growing so rapidly that we're starting to see them mix with all sorts of fandoms?

Or is it me who's a little too old to grasp the concept that everyone is free to enjoy different things at the same time?

What do you think? I think this person is a bit right. Most Spartans never show their face to where we can see them. The only ones who have are the Spartans in Halo Legends, and in Halo Reach. The most important Spartans...US, Noble Six from Reach, Master Chief from the original trilogy, and our multiplayer Spartans in 1, 2, and 3 never showed their face.

That's actually just for immersion and to make us feel like were them, but I think it's done a bit more than just that accidently, as the person in the quote box said.

I think this is a classic case of causation confused with correlation. HALO is much more relevant to my/our generation (to generalise the age group of furries) and is furthermore (and for the very same reasons) a community in which members of this generation feel more comfortable, whereas Star Wars etc. are remarkably more esoteric. I don't think there's any notable connection between furries and Spartans anymore than there is a conenction between furries and WoW players or StepMania players. StepMania communities are chock-full of furries and it's a game where you press some buttons while a song is being played.

I disagree, slightly.

Just as our fursona isn't really us and is masked by the Internet because it can never really exist, thus are our Spartans. They are literally masked (helmeted) and can never really exist. (Though...there is this one crazy guy who has made a darn near impenetrable armor suit that is like MJOLNIR, but...tis' a different story.)

And we both, for the most part of people involved in these groups, assume the role of the fursona or Spartan when ever it is called for.

Just a thought. I mean...sure, not the biggest likenesses but ah well, I just always see connections in everything.

Plus you can pretty much have a fur like looking chest piece armor, be orange or brown, and have a paw emblem in Reach. >.>

Sounds like a pretty big stretch to me, and I found all of his examples to be completely wrong Because most star wars fans I can think of watch almost every type of sci-fi. I dont think I've ever met a single person in my life who uses "spartan" as an identity either.

I'm not trying to imply that there can be absolutely no similarities between the two based on similar principles but the incidences of such are not nearly significant enough to warrant a generalisation such as that.